Thread: Torn Island - a first low res draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi there Wildcode, not a bad start! Your mountains look pretty good, you did a nice job sculpting them. Your colors you chose for your gradient work well for this style of map. The rivers are a bit large, but it isn't a huge issue. Since this is a smaller res map one way you could have gotten smaller rivers during the Wilbur phase would have been to set the Pre Blur to 0 when doing the Incise Flow; if you set it any higher it will expand the width of the river basins. Really the only big issue I see here (and one that is easily corrected), is that the sea surrounding your land is nearly black. This may have been caused by forgetting to add the Land Mask to each of your land and mountain bump maps. If so, then just adding these masks ought to do the trick. Anyway nice job and glad that the tutorial was helpful to you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Hi there Wildcode, not a bad start! Your mountains look pretty good, you did a nice job sculpting them. Your colors you chose for your gradient work well for this style of map. The rivers are a bit large, but it isn't a huge issue. Since this is a smaller res map one way you could have gotten smaller rivers during the Wilbur phase would have been to set the Pre Blur to 0 when doing the Incise Flow; if you set it any higher it will expand the width of the river basins. Really the only big issue I see here (and one that is easily corrected), is that the sea surrounding your land is nearly black. This may have been caused by forgetting to add the Land Mask to each of your land and mountain bump maps. If so, then just adding these masks ought to do the trick. Anyway nice job and glad that the tutorial was helpful to you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you Arsheesh, both for the feedback and the guide! You have probably saved me days of fidgeting in GiMP and Wilbur

Yes, as I told WoroRelu the rivers are a bit faulty. And I did get a bit excited when incising the flows

Regarding the blackness of the ocean I tried to compensate for my map being flooded (the lowest part of the map seemed to become ocean in Wilbur) so I did some deleting in GiMP before I took it too Wilbur and ended up with the problem. I did try to fix it in the end by making a new low detailed cloud render in a nice blue tint but I didn't succeed to make it blend in with the blackish ocean; my goal was then to try to expand the shorelines to get the island to blend into that. But I failed and left it as is.

Anyways, Ill trace back in the tutorial when I do the river revamp so I will fix that too.

Thank you for your feedback!

Regards
    - wildcode