Thread: Land of Ghnom - Fantasy map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ghnom, nom, nom!

Which translated from anglo-lolcat means roughly: Tasty! I.e. delightful stuff.

I find one teensy fault... With your descriptions. Normally I have no problem with even rough English (and yours isn't rough; it's quite good). After all, the map's the main thing. And this is a subtle distinction, but every time you present something as your "last map" my heart momentarily stops, and I start to think "NOOO! He can't stop mapping!" It's just for a second, and the adrenaline jolt might be good for me, but it's scary. ;-)

While I do go all persnickety-editor on coworkers, here I'll just explain that while 'last' does mean exactly what you mean for it to ( and I'll almost guarantee 99.995% of your Guild readers understand perfectly), it could also carry the connotation that this will be your last map, ever. Which we of the Guild would be heartbroken to hear! :-). "Latest" would both mean what you meant AND imply that it is the most recent in a long series, which would please us greatly!

So to leave off with the tongue-in-cheek terminology diversion, I agree the grayscale version will look great in a book. Whether it will all be legible will depend on the quality of the printing - a few of the labels are low contrast with their backgrounds. I'm thinking the forest names, perhaps a few of the town names on light textures - the runes beneath Wergon?

I love how you've done both the mountains and the forests - both jump off the page nicely.

Drat - can't rep you again, yet.
    Last edited by jbgibson; 04-15-2013 at 01:21 AM.