Thread: Watercolor practice - ISO style

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Neat cave system. So your map is 4.5 x 6 inches? Nice use of watercolors! Did you find that the more heavy areas of pencil mixed into the paint some?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Neat cave system. So your map is 4.5 x 6 inches? Nice use of watercolors! Did you find that the more heavy areas of pencil mixed into the paint some?
    I don't think I had the pencil mixing into the paint. More like the paint pigment starts to overshadow the pencil lines. I will keep an eye on this though. I may have this issue on the floor tiles since that's the heaviest lines. Maybe the paper makes a difference or maybe not going too heavy with the water?

4.5 x 6 is about right so it's kind of small. I don't mind this while I'm learning. I do have an issue now however. I created a similar sized mock up of an abstract painting for my wife's office. Heh, she really liked it so now I need to make it HUGE as in about as large a sheet as I can get it. I'm not sure about how to do that so it's going to be fun trying that. It will certainly be the largest Watercolor I will have attempted.

edit: ISO - yes..I'm out to set those here
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 04-15-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I don't think I had the pencil mixing into the paint. More like the paint pigment starts to overshadow the pencil lines. I will keep an eye on this though. I may have this issue on the floor tiles since that's the heaviest lines. Maybe the paper makes a difference or maybe not going too heavy with the water?
    It's probably a combination of paper thickness / water ratio. Mine started to dissolve the pencil on the sketch paper so it turned the colors greyish.

4.5 x 6 is about right so it's kind of small. I don't mind this while I'm learning. I do have an issue now however. I created a similar sized mock up of an abstract painting for my wife's office. Heh, she really liked it so now I need to make it HUGE as in about as large a sheet as I can get it. I'm not sure about how to do that so it's going to be fun trying that. It will certainly be the largest Watercolor I will have attempted.
    There's a large difference between sizes when it comes to the way the pigments combine with the surface texture. I wish you luck.

I've got an aversion to getting some special Gum type tape or whatever. I don't know why, maybe I'm just rebellious or maybe I think it sounds pompous to have special tape.
    LMAO! Me too
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram