Thread: New member seeking advice and critique

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which rivers to show depends on the purpose of the map. A map that is meant as an aid to navigation will show rivers that are an impediment to travel (too wide, deep or swift to easily cross) and those that are navigable. A political map will probably show only very major rivers, particularly those that also serve as national borders. A survey map that might be used to guide the founding of new settlements will show every source of water large enough to support a community.

That's all in-world logic, of course. As an author, you should show those watercourses that are important or may become important to your plot. Try to avoid details that are unnecessary for the current purpose because a) it will make the map more difficult to read and b) you will be less likely to lock yourself into a set of details that later become inconvenient to the story. Sometimes being vague can be an asset because it means you have fewer "facts" to keep track of.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I think I'm aiming more towards a navigation style map, likely with some minor political labeling on it as well. I do like the idea of keeping some elements of it purposefully vague though, exactly for the reasons you gave. I've found several tutorials and guides here that should prove useful for my next attempts. Thank you for your help. Hopefully I'll have something more to show within the next few weeks.