Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sedivore: WIP

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

OK, wow. It's been over a year since I've posted, and have not really got a lot of work done. I have re-imagined the basic map of Sedivore. It's size is also altered to 32,371 circumference. roughly 1.27x the size of Earth.

I am working on populating the world with villages, towns, and cities of the Kingdoms. I need to make a map that shows borders and Kingdom maps that show the cities and towns and stuff. I also need to ad rivers , lakes, and other land forms like forests, hills and mountains.

the dotted line in the lower right represents 1000 miles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sedivore v2-2.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	665.9 KB 
ID:	75344

Drax, the the massive desert, lies within the circled area. Drax is the name of the desert, as well as the name of the Kingdom that encompasses the entire desert.

I am going to be trying to do the work needed on my own, but will take advice, tips, suggestions and feedback from anyone willing to help out. If someone with talent and time wants to do some actual work on the map, i am more than happy to accept. It'll be a lot less stressful if i can get help on adding terrain such as trees, rivers, lakes, hills, mountains, etc.

Name:	Sedivore 2-2 with Drax circled.PNG 
Views:	40 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	75348

This map has Lakes and Rivers added to it, though this is subject to change.

The red lines are rough borders of the Kingdoms. the small continent is it's own Kingdom so does not have a red border.

On the larger continent, the 2nd Kingdom (Center Top) is suppose to be the Large Desert i mentioned in previous posts.

Name:	Sedivore 2-3 [with Drax, Rivers, and Borders].PNG 
Views:	48 
Size:	607.3 KB 
ID:	75351

This is the Map as I am working on it now.

Using the terrain icons from CC3 and adding them to the map in GIMP. I'm going this route because exporting my map from FT3 into CC3 kept messing it up.

Name:	Sedivore [WIP Terrain].PNG 
Views:	42 
Size:	771.0 KB 
ID:	75357

Banned User

Hello Eric. If you would like a little commentary on your map, I'd suggest toning the colors down a lot. Desaturate them (make them less vivid). It hurts my eyes to look at it

Also, you might read a bit about mountain ranges -- they don't normally occur in circular shapes. Mountain ranges are linear or curvilinear, due to the fact that they form at tectonic plate boundaries.

I think you have the start of a really nice map here, I'll look forward to where you take it

thanks for your input, I'll check on toning down the colors.

As far as the Mountains that form a circle: That region is call Drax, it is a desert. I want the desert to be surrounded by mountains, but the desert is also supernaturally created... well sort of. a lot of ancient magic went into it, but the environment began to sustain itself as a desert, the curse is unbreakable. the blighted and black sand slowly crept across the face of the land, but eventually was halted by a long dead race, or so the legend goes. The black mountains were created by the volcanic eruptions and other disastrous calamities manifested by the ancient race in which the desert is now named after, Drax.

So, maybe it is a bit of lazy/stubbornness (the whole, it is the way it is, cause i said so trick), but it is part of the lore. I am, however, willing to make it look a bit more realistic, if you have any suggestions on it. Also, the current images are crap. i don't like the way the mountains and trees look. I have to continue playing with the programs i have and the lack of skill i have.

but again, i do appreciate the feedback.

Banned User

If I had to create a desert surrounded by mountains, I'd probably do it like in this map in the southeast where Drend is ... a long wide chain with a big valley between some ridges that separate for a distance.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...1&d=1439416947

That way, I'd have a real mountain range, and a flat area that I could make a magical desert in. You can make the valley even wider, but if you keep the mountain as a single fairly linear range, it will look a lot more natural.

And thanks for the rep!!

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Thanks for the advice and feedback, I try to rep anyone who contributes.

I'll take your advice on incorporating a natural mountain range and have the desert be sunk into the valley, but seeing how Drax is over 3000 mile in one direction (no jokes please), it may be a bit hard.. but not impossible.

I have tweaked the coloring of my map, but i'll have to redo the terrain later, which is obviously not a bad thing.

Name:	Sedivore v3 [WIP].JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	75361

I don't think I can help much at this point as your stuff seems still very vague, but here's what I think is the most powerful advice:

- don't get confounded with map making and world making - it's two separate things.

A map is THE tool for world making, but it needs to be practical more than beautiful, and world making is not about making that particular map look cool. In fact, if you manage to world-make properly, then you can map-make for ages from a single world...

If you keep the last version as new basis for your WIP, I suggest to make the oceans a lighter blue to make the lands pop more. The whole thing seems a bit dark right now (although I prefer it compared to the bright colors of the first version).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast