Quote Originally Posted by Lekeila View Post
Hello. First off I'll state simply that, although I think map-making is awesome, I am not a cartography enthusiast, I am a book author. I write fictional stories. Recently I had the idea to have a story with a young cartographer apprentice and so I am on a search for a knowledgeable person to help me out with tips if at all possible. I am sorry to say that I have no intention of staying on this site for long as I have had experience with forums and I am aware that they are huge time-consumers. My apologies to the admin/s of this site, I hope you understand . . . but it looks to me like you already have plenty of active members.
So, I’ll wrap up by saying: greetings to you from the writer's world.

Welcome Lekeila! You can stick around as long as you like. Do you have plans to make some maps your self, or are you looking for someone to make a map for you? If the former, have you thought about how you plan to make the map in terms of specific software, just hand drawn, or whatever? If the latter, then post to the requests forum. Generally, the smaller and less picky you are (and the world is interesting!) the more likely someone will have time to do free work. The larger the requirements, the more likely it will require payment.

What exactly are you looking for? If you are not 100% sure, just browse the site and try to find a few good examples that fit the style you might like, keeping the above stuff in mind. Generally, old world maps of a hand drawn style are easier for new people to do, so you may want to start your search in that area.

And who knows, you may actually become a regular here anyway!

Joe