Thread: 3d spaces and VTTs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    The addition of a computer to the game space, though, potentially opens other options, such as a z-plane. Are there any existing VTTs that account for movement in three dimensions?
    My VTT is 2D and will only attempt to emulate a real gaming table (sans telescopic risers). Having said that I think it would be easier on a VTT than a real table. For one thing you can get some great 3D models of ships so getting icons is easier than getting icons of people and you can put down many of them all at once. Secondly you have no scale limits. If you want a very big battle or a cruiser coming in from a long way then thats no problem. Third, when you pack up the game table packs up with you so setting up real figures with last weeks Z height must be hard in real life.

Representing height in 3D is difficult without a 3D interface and using a 3D interface in any meaningful way other than top down is also hard. We had some discussion about it over at FUM. My recommendation is to use the old BBC Micro Elite version where you have a circle rotated away from you so as to become an elipse and then show Z by a bar that rises from that circular X-Y plane up to the required Z. It was actually possible to dog fight with that after a bit of getting used to.

It would be useful if you could describe a way that you might like to have the display of the Z on screen that you can still play with. If you can come up with that then it could probably be programed. Not likely by me as I will stay 2D but thats the reason I think that its not done right now.

Edit -- Oh I should have mentioned that my VTT has square and hex grids in many scales including parsecs and lightyears. I dont think they work very well tho and they are not very useful actually.... I reckon you would have to make an overall scale adjustment of say 1km = 1 light year or something like that.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-20-2008 at 09:05 PM.