Thread: Geography Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It would also be helpful if you could post some samples of the kind of thing you would like to achieve. I get the sense that you're looking for help with style (how things look) rather than topography (where things go). There are lots of good Photoshop tutorials, guides, and case studies available, and we can certainly help guide you to them once we have a better idea of what you want to achieve.

Off the top of my head, you might find good information by searching the tutorials forum for threads started by Ascension and Jezelf. Also, a search for the phrase "[Award Winner]" will get you a list of the tutorials generally considered most useful.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

By geography I mean the way it looks. Here's one of my last projects that I could go back and polish up.

Calitora Prime - Map Sector 1 by ~obsidianentity on deviantART

I guess I'm having trouble finding those tutorials with the forum search function. I'll have to keep trying I guess. I want to have some different styles of how to do mountains, rivers, forests, hills, city locations, etc. I'm not really sure how else to describe what I'm looking for. Style of how the geography looks like is really all I'm currently looking for at this point.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Entity of Sin View Post
    By geography I mean the way it looks. Here's one of my last projects that I could go back and polish up.

Calitora Prime - Map Sector 1 by ~obsidianentity on deviantART

I guess I'm having trouble finding those tutorials with the forum search function. I'll have to keep trying I guess. I want to have some different styles of how to do mountains, rivers, forests, hills, city locations, etc. I'm not really sure how else to describe what I'm looking for. Style of how the geography looks like is really all I'm currently looking for at this point.
    Ah, ok.

It looks from your sample like you're looking for the semi-realistic/CG kind of feel rather than the hand-drawn/stylistic/line art kind of map. I'm just getting into the hobby so what I do right now when I have free time is flip back through the tutorial forum and just kind of skim the titles and bookmark anything that looks interesting. When I hit stuff that looks like it might be of interest to you I'll link back to it here.