Thread: Ruined neighbourhood

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

First, Oryan77, here's the higher quality jpg which I've stored at Large Battlemaps. The .psd file is on Dropbox : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...oolOfSeven.psd. Hopefully that will work. I've had a drop box account for ages and never used it. Just a note that, while some of the stuff in the map was built by me (like the roads) I use textures and objects from a variety of sources, mostly the Dundjinni forums and something I downloaded ages ago which I think is called the CSUAC. I also have some of Bogie's roofs in there! So while I'm happy to share the file, just keep in mind that much of it wasn't made by me.

Jacktannery, I'm really glad you like the roads. I've been admiring your work in your Big Castle thread.

It was a bit of a process to get the roads but the final result was close to what I was going for originally. I was tired of using a tiled texture to represent roads because it always just looked like someone had just cleared some dirt off of a big cobblestone floor. I wanted the roads to look like they were built, so I made them more... directional. However the process is a bit software dependent. I used both Photoshop and Illustrator (CS4, yes I'm behind the times), starting with building a custom brush in Illustrator, laying out all the roads for my map in an AI document, and then copying them into Photoshop for further work (like getting the grass to mostly grow in the cracks). If you're interested I'll keep track the next time I do it and post my workflow in the How-To forum.
    Edit: I make it sound like it's a big complicated thing, but it's not really, this was just my first go at the process so it was a learning experience.

cheers,
    Meshon
    Last edited by Meshon; 04-23-2013 at 11:03 PM.