While I was hoping for more suggestions here, after posting a similar thread as this on my Facebook Page, 2 responders showed interest in me doing a kabuki theater as my next release, so that's my plan.

The trick is coming up with an appropriate encounter to develop and include with the mapped site. While many kabuki plays are based on traditional sagas of the heroes and great tragedies of the realm (which are many), I thought I'd touch upon the fact that many kabuki plays were parodies of current local politics - as kind of a comedy with a little bit of slander thrown in. Because kabuki actors were the superstars of fandom, they could get away with poking fun at the authorities and mostly getting away with it. So I was planning to offer a political parody play, with supporters of the slandered party in the audience perhaps getting ready to accost the actor once the play begins - and either the PCs have been made aware that something is going down (hired by the theater owner) or they accidentally become witness to the start of the action while a member of the audience.

Thoughts?

GP