Thread: What should be next in the Haiku of Horror series?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Why don't do the obvious interesting Thing? A shinto Temple with Lots of sakura trees. New one build in Kyoto, or a half forgotten one on snowy mountain, could Be a small set with different theme and feel.
    I already intend to do both, eventually. Here's a preliminary list of the sites I intend for this series (including the 1st ones): bath house, kabuki theater, shinden palace, Japanese castle, Shinto Shrine, Buddhist (style) temple complex, an unkept or ruined shrine site, 3 typical shops in the merchant district, 3 typical shops in the red light district, a farmhouse and fields, a bakuto gambling parlor, a brothel, a sword smithy, a bell foundry, a silk dyers manufactory, a jail, a mountain village, a port village/town, a Japanese junk ship plans, a Red Seal ship plans (large warship), a sunken under water port/temple ruin, a bridge, and more as I think of them.

What I'm really hoping for is a fan-based direction on which ones I should do first - in order of usefulness or value to users of oriental settings and game systems. While they are intended for use in Kaidan, they can easily fit into real-Japan settings like Sengoku or Bushido, or fantastical ones like Rokugan, Heroes of the Jade Oath, Kara-Tur, or Rokushima Taiyoo (Ravenloft Japan). Any oriental setting really.

There are included references to the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror for PFRPG, because this is a series considered intrinsic to Kaidan published material. At no point will I suggest this belongs in Kyoto or any other real world location - even though they obviously do fit. However, first and foremost - these are Kaidan locations.

I find that many publishers create a setting, and they might also include 1 or 2 adventures and maybe a supplement, that's it. If there are interested gaming groups for these, they tend to be very limited in supplemental material. I don't want that to be the case for Kaidan.

Remember Kaidan is my home-brew, published into PFRPG through Rite Publishing. So far, I've created an intro trilogy of adventures featuring 'western' PCs visiting an exotic far east setting - the adventures aren't intended for Kaidanese locals. We've also released 3 one-shot modules (including a free one, called Frozen Wind). We've released 3 racial supplements: In the Company of Kappa, In the Company of Tengu, and In the Company of Henge - we will include ones eventually for In the Company of Korobokuru, and In the Company of Kitsune. We've released 2 class/faction supplements so far: Way of the Yakuza and Way of the Samurai, though we intend to eventually release: Way of the Shinobi (regarding ninja classes) and Way of the Spirit (focused on divine classes). Following a successful Kickstarter last summer, scheduled for Oct/Nov 2013, we'll be releasing the Kaidan GM's Guidebook, and the Kaidan Player's Guidebook. After their release we'll be looking to do a Kaidan Bestiary with 50 - 100 unique Japanese monsters and templates, with some specifically Kaidan creatures, perhaps not found in Japanese folklore (as most entries).

I'm also finishing up a book of unique magic items called #30 Ancestral Relics, which feature 30 unique weapons, armor and wondrous items that level up with their bearer's class levels, also including variance of Honor score and require event triggers - actions that PCs must succeed at for the item to level in power.

The Haiku of Horror series is a new line for maps and encounters. I want to eventually publish a 1st - 15th or 1st - 20th level full adventure path set in Kaidan. These are my goals - I'm looking for a fully supplemented 3PP setting (not a half-assed one like most published settings.)
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-05-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations