Thread: Need help on scale and travel

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need help on scale and travel

All,

It has bee a while since I last posted, and it's been a while since I had some time to keep writing and building out my world for a story (that I hope to one day eventually finish... I just want it out of my head...). A while back I had hand drawn a map to at least give myself something to work with. From that point I decided to find a digital means to try and recreate it. I had made a fairly rudimentary map of the area using Inkarnate.

My question/issue is regarding scaling and sizing.

I want to have the coastal city on the bottom right take about two weeks of standard wagon travel to get to the city in the upper left corner.

Some background, this is for a fantasy, medieval-esque world, that does have magic but that is not used heavily for transportation. So major forms for land would be caravan, wagons, walking, horseback, etc... Assuming that an average wagon day would be 10-20 miles a day, I estimated that the cities are about 210 miles apart (15 miles per day x 14 days). Also, what's on the map is just a part of a much larger continent. The world is not young, and there have been many kingdoms that have come and gone that have taken the entire continent and fallen. The city on the South Eastern coast is a major port city, that has stood for a very long time as it has always been a valuable entry point into this part of the continent. The city in the North Western part is not very old, and was only built around 100-200 years before the point that the story takes place. It was built as a defensive barrier between this area and the rest of the continent. So the infrastructure was originally high walls, castle structures, etc.. but as time went on and peace took over and populations grew and expanded accordingly.

The question I have, in a medieval setting like that, with that long of a journey, how likely would there be other towns or villages between those two points?

The Coastal city would be the largest, in comparison to all others, with massive amounts of trade. The city in the North West would be large as well, but it's more of a barrier between this map and the rest of the continent, and wedges itself between the Northern and Western mountain ranges.

So, again, my mind is racking itself trying to figure out my character's journey from point A (the coastal city) to point B (the North Western city) and how often they would come upon other settlements (at least what would be appropriate for a wagon ride of two weeks between two major cities like this).

Any advice, thoughts, criticism, help would be much appreciated. Thank you so very much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	108046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	108047