Thread: WIP: Shop Interior

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Consider that most maps have walls that are too thick, but too thick is better than too thin (at least on a map). Think of the thickness of a cinderblock plus a layer of insulation and drywall on top - probably up to 18" wide, that would be the expected thickness of a given outer wall. What you have now appears to be 3 or 4 inches thick - not even half a cinderblock. It's still too thin. Interior walls can be gotten away with being thinner - consider thickness of a 2" x 4" (thus 4" thick) + 1" each for drywall. Thus your interior walls should appear at least 6" thick.

Lots of medieval mapped locaitons would have 1 ft. thick interior walls and up to 5 ft thick exterior walls - too much, but again, too much is better than too thin.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-27-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Actually, I think the issue with scale is actually that my toilets are too big.

Each tile on this is going to be ~1 meter for tabletop purposes (which is the goal of this map), and it's 26x16 meters for the structure. If you get over the fact that my proportions are wrong, I'm at about ~60 pixels per meter. With a wall thickness of ~16 pixels, I should be getting about 8" for the interior ones. The exterior ones are actually cut off by my image, to keep my perfect proportions without cutting into the map, but they're 20 pixels thick from what can be seen, which should give them a whole foot of width.

So basically, what my issue is right now is that I need to make my grid in my workspace better so that I'm actually working in meters instead of arbitrarily sizing my furniture, which, when placed on a grid, reveals a slightly atrocious scenario: My toilets are ~2x1.2 meters in diameter. In short, yes, there are major errors, just not the ones you thought.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StoreCompositeGrid.png 
Views:	2312 
Size:	734.3 KB 
ID:	53977

EDIT: Modern ADA-compliant toilets take up ~1.2x.8 meters of floor space, so I'm essentially an extra 50% on the size, which then corresponds to an appropriate shift in stall size. This is actually something that I'm really glad I learned, because the bathroom was feeling cramped.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	store6.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	53978

It's overly dark, because I didn't want to spend the hour for a high-quality render, but you can see the proportions correctly now.

EDIT 2: I should probably ask on a Blender forum why the outside light is overrepresented in the clamped light thing; I have two theories, one based on size, and the other based on the fact that it's a colored light, rather than a plain white light, though the blue light in the lower right should be rendering if that were the case.

EDIT 3: I should probably point out that the toilets are still a mite larger than they should be, but I've accepted that as something that's not necessarily horrible in all situations, especially since the main reason I'm making this is for a Shadowrun campaign, and Trolls might appreciate a mite of extra space.
    Last edited by Squire Ned; 04-27-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added correctly proportioned bathroom.