Thread: Any heightmap editors that know the heightfield is really on a sphere?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Not displacement mapping (like bump mapping) - polar pinching - is what I was refering to I thought you wanted to eliminate that

Anyway, sounds like Wilbur can do what you want,then? Yay!

mmmm <wonders if World Machine would do this?> - World machine does have some tiling and errosion. It would need some experimentation though.

Not that you need to do this now, but another option is if you're manually editing it, coz you could do that in PS. (offset tool) and you could do 2 wilbur renders and blend them together. if you just want to tile the left /right ends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: Take your 'pre wilbur' map (I'll call it map 'A' ) make a clone of it (I'll call it map 'B')

2: on B , In PS go Filter>Other>offset (gimp has something similar) and offset +horizontal of 2048 (half your 4096 to get it in the center) , do any edits so it tileable here, save it out ( of course, you could just bring in A but save this out as B)

note: if dimentions used change, then the offset should be recaluated to whatever half of the width of the map will be , in this case it's 2048.

note: sounds like you have a tiled 'pre wilbur' map already, so you just need make a copy and offset. I've included that step in there in case someone else comes along wanting to do this and doesnt have that bit

3: Put A through Wilbur - note any non default settings you may use

4: put B through Wilbur using same settings as A

5: Get A & B after Wilbur results back in PS

6: On A do the offset thing again, but dont do anything else - if it was the last filter you used, and you didnt shut down PS, then you can just click Filter and it'll be at the top. click on that should simply repeat what you did before using that filter.

7: Select B and cut and paste it above A, into a new layer

8: (this is where this whole idea will succeed or fail ) B should line up with areas on A, other than the bit you want to tile, but that's why you have B. You're just re doing the tile using layers. Make a mask on B and blend the two together - getting rid of the left and right ends, A has those. ( or use eraser, but a mask is non-destructive)

9: Select all (Ctrl+A) then Edit>Copy Merge> Paste (or Shift+Ctrl+C > Ctrl+V ) get a new layer with both A & B now as a new one (I'll call it C)

10: On the new layer that is C, use the offset filter again - as you're using 2048 to shift horizonally again, it should return your map back to the origin and you'll now have tiled ends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that made sense - it was a bit of a mind dump and very redundant if Wilbur does it for you, but wanted to put it down as another option if anyone needed it.

Jez
    Last edited by jezelf; 05-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.