Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Argyros: The Thousand Isles

You can also just use a lot of real names. Sure, you might want to stay away from a dozen or so really famous ones, but you should still be able to find a goodly list of names to get you started.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow. That was exhausting. I used four or five different name generators, plus Michael Grant's 'Guide to the Ancient World'. Also added some simple forests and major roads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArgyrosB4.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	54900  

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow. That was exhausting. I used four or five different name generators, plus Michael Grant's 'Guide to the Ancient World'. Also added some simple forests and major roads.
    Wow, looks great! The forests are indeed very simple, but still very interesting. Do you intend to keep them in this form? I quite like it actually.

Oh, and how did you get a hold of that book? Did you buy it? I suspect it might be very helpful for my current project.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Very nice and clean job as always!

The landshapes are very pleasing to my eyes (as almost always with your maps, D) and the mountains, as i already said, are very fitting.

The forests though... ugh. I think in a map where you have a realistic representation of the mountains, those abstracted placeholders for forests do not work at all (style-clash!). I hope you'll reconsider and do more realistically represented forests (for example through closely put together tree-icons or something similar).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

i concur with Eilathen on the landshape. Your maps have always very nice ones, well balanced between lands and seas.

Quote Originally Posted by thamupp View Post
    Wow, looks great! The forests are indeed very simple, but still very interesting. Do you intend to keep them in this form? I quite like it actually.
    Thanks. I like 'em too, but... I think Eilathen is right. They clash with the mountains.

Oh, and how did you get a hold of that book? Did you buy it? I suspect it might be very helpful for my current project.
    I bought it years ago, but a quick look at AmazonUS shows 35 copies, starting as low as $0.06.

One thing you could do with this minimalist forest representation, or some similar effect that's low on busy-ness, is to show forests running up into the mountains. Many major ranges are virtually carpeted, yet using mutually exclusive symbols leaves a landscape looking like all forests are flat and all mountains are bare.

If the clash is that these area tints look more mechanical than handmade, maybe you could do the same thing with some mildly blotchy washes - unsaturated green maybe, and light enough to not compete with the labels?

Even as is, this already looks really good!

I'm still deciding how I want to do the forests (will probably revert to tree icons), but in the meantime I've started working on some sigils for the various nations. The sword & shield icons at the top of the two boxes are vector clipart from here: Image Of Shield And Crossed Swords Royalty Free Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock Illustration. Image 12889384.

You can see from the layout that I'm copying one of my cartoheroes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArgyrosB5.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	54937  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wonderful as always Diamond. I am such a huge fan of your work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast