Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Argyros: The Thousand Isles

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks, JT!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I think the font is toooo playfull and stealing away the simplicity of the map, also the borders of the Paperbanners are too thick in my opinion I would reduce them by half. Normally I realy like your Map decorations, but this time, no. Everything seems way to thik and distracting from the map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i quite like the font - reminds me of the maps on ancient warfare magazine - and it fits in with the type of setting.

though, shields/banners.. were seeing a lot of maps with shields and banners and they're fine as one-off sort of thing but im getting shield/banner fatigue to be honest.

If I may reminding, wasnt you the one starting in with the new Heraldry wave ?

if i knew the beast id be creating when i done it i would have left them out! i was trying to be 'original' as i saw very few maps with shields on them... (of course there were maps with shields and banners before then but i hadnt seen any recent ones in quite a while)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I think there were maps with banners/shields way before Vorro did his owns.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To stick my nose into the heraldry issue, I think a map of this sort needs those type of touches.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Waves comes and goes, I was not implying he hat some innovation with Schields. Just that it was so well made that he inspires more than a few copycats, including myself in the Line.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

To be fair, I was doing heraldry (or pseudo-heraldry) on my maps years ago: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...-kingdoms.html I like coming up with banner/flag/shield/heraldry designs almost as I like to make maps, so it's probably fair to say you'll see a heck of a lot more of it from me in years to come.

SK: do you mean the line thickness of the banners on top of the swords & shields?

As for the font, I like it. It's legible at large and small sizes, and it has a Greek flavor to it. Be thankful I didn't use the font of the title box for everything!

ok... i think i was misquoted or came across the wrong way - i never said i was the first person to use heraldry in maps *(ive only been posting regularly here for about a year anyway)! i just meant that were seeing a lot of maps themed around maps lately. seems like the 'new craze' so to speak. would be nice to see something different

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast