Thread: I'm not sure what I am doing, but I am not going to let that stop me!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have been playing with layers & masks. I have some more cleanup to do, and haven't yet found a new snowfield. Also I need to figure out what to do with the yellow areas; they are an artifact of the generation process that should be removed. Ideally, I have hills in the yellow areas, and replacing the mountainous areas not near a snowcap - but I haven't figured out how I want to do those.

So, here's what I've got so far; any thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mishmap 2.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	544.1 KB 
ID:	54176
    P.S. The map is about 300 mi across

First update in a while, been playing around with things. Tell me what you think - better or worse? What did I do right, so I can keep doing them? I need alot of feedback on this one because the style is so unusual, I need to know what it looks like to the casual observer.

BTW, the map is 300 mi wide and shows the 'valley' between converging mountain ranges.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mishmap 3.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	515.0 KB 
ID:	54412

Blog Entries

it's interesting, but, for 300 mile wide and at the height to see that much area, I personally would reduce the texture size and maybe its a bit too vivid in color, at first glance it gives the impression that the land is even with or higher than the mountain texture, light should hit the mountains more than the valley I think. I would isolate the land texture and try to make a gradient mask, dark in the middle and lighter to the edges which would i think give the impression of depth in the middle, more experienced hands would say exactly and accurately but i believe its a simple radial gradient, maybe a shaped angular in hard light mode, try to get a darker center with a sense of valley walls rising up and blur as desired to soften the walls. i usually try every mode till i get what looks close to what i want so off hand i can't just pop out a mode to suggest.
    Last edited by Revock; 05-09-2013 at 10:35 PM.