Thread: *WIP* Why did it have to be snakes? Aka, the Yuan-Ti temple

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected

* Shrug*
    It is one of the priest's private quarters...

I am working on somebody else's plan so, I don't necessarily have the full background story for this place, but I had initially put the engraving at the bottom of the main room. Then I found the snake pool (the original plan calls for w pool there) and decided it was just to perfect a fit to pass on... I can imagine players jumping on the snake from the nearby balcony and sliding their way down swashbuckler style...
    But I liked the engraving too and wanted to use it...

Basically, at this point, I throw everything cool at the wall and see what sticks/ what the coauthor thinks is worth keeping.
    Last edited by Simon33600; 05-02-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

Coming along nicely, think the huge snake statue/fountain is a great touch and believe me my players will be jumping all over that and thanking you for it..

Let me give you some background on the Temple:

The Yuan-ti as a whole has not been seen in the world since 800AD (game time it's about 1900 years after this temple was built) . The Serpents, built temples to a demon serpent known as Slas. The temple you are creating is the first and most holiest temple the Yuan-ti build to Slas, it was here that the Yuan-ti first made contact with their god, and began to wage war against the other creatures of the world.

The first Floor:
    This floor of temple is the living quarters. The two roundish side rooms was shared by 2 serpent priests each. the room directly behind the balcony is the high priest's room. The hexagon shaped room is a place to take meals. the small chamber off the the left of the balcony is a room containing many holy objects used in the worship of Slas. The upper most room is a hidden room, that contains various trinkets that the high priest keep for himself from raids and sacrifices. The Balcony is where many sacrifices too place, there is an altar there covered in dried blood.

The 2nd floor:
    This is not on the map yet but it contains an armory, slave pens (where a human has dug his way out of), a library, a laboratory, and an breeding pit. There is a secret entrance to a room one floor down that contains a portal to another temple.

In the 61st year of the third age of the world, and wizard by the name Kelack discovered the temple with a group of adventurers, he an many others studied what they found, specifically scrolls referencing Slas and the sacrifices and experiments they did in the gods name. After a member of his research team was attacked, and nearly killed, Kelack sealed the temple, to keep others (and his new found knowledge) safe. The temple was never searched fully, as the breeding pits were never discovered. In these pits thousands of Yuan-ti eggs lay waiting to hatch.