Thanks for the feedback guys.
@ - Max -
I actually did start with the brush set for the mountains and trees but I found out that I will eventually have to create my own which I did with the mushroom biomass portion.
I am thinking about drawing a few mountains in to replace some of the repetitive portions of the map- maybe you can mark the areas you found most repetitive??

@ Arsheesh
I'm sort of going for this de-saturated depressing feel with the coloration- though if that's not what you mean with the colors can you explain? Are you talking about the matte beige landmass color I'm using currently? - I plan on going over that with some details once I'm done placing all the details of the map down.
As for the sea portion I was going to get to that once I finish placing the details over the entire map, which is quite large and mostly is just a flag beige color right now.
However I am unable to replicate the nice shore edge effect I see in a lot of the maps here. Can anyone maybe direct me to a good tutorial they know about for that or general sea detail?

And also thanks for the up votes
Ill update when there is more to show.

P.S. Eilathen, here is a snapshot i took for my friend who asked me "how bad can it be?" when I told him there is a-lot of map to fill
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jzRigqU.png 
Views:	323 
Size:	409.7 KB 
ID:	54164