Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Principal Areas of Interest in an especially boring location

I had to go look up on their website about demos... they have an awesome one https://www.artrage.com/demos/ I guess you can't save, export, or record scripts [I suppose you could screen capture if you wanted to keep a record or play with it as a layer in another program; just maybe don't share such around publicly unless you buy the full license version ] but everything else is fully functional and there is no time limit.

I tried Corel Painter back when the wet oils and real watercolors were new... and I think I was still using my old laptop. They froze and crashed the program because they were so heavy/powerful but, wow, they were gorgeous.
    I think ArtRage is acceptably comparable [or as kacey said it above] for quality results, and surpasses it for processing lightness and ease of use/learning curve, and definitely on cost.

Guild Member

Default Playful work

I am just starting to poke my nose around the forums after I found this site last week. I really like your work. It has a loose playful spirit that I resonate with. I will look forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSchmidt View Post
    I am just starting to poke my nose around the forums after I found this site last week. I really like your work. It has a loose playful spirit that I resonate with. I will look forward to seeing more of your stuff!
    Thank you Aaron, and welcome to the guild! I'm trying to do more with the loose playfulness lately/moving forward so I'm really happy to hear that people enjoy it.

Thanks Chashio

I have the demo, but like you say I can't show anything - not even here - till I get around to buying the thing! LOL!

Question

Just curious which version people like better? Dark or light water? [the colors are just basic for clarity] And what type of setting does each put you in mind of? Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 05 15 landmass color-scheme-dark-water KaitlinGray.PNG 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	95783 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 05 15 landmass color-scheme-light-water KaitlinGray.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	95784

Couldn't really focus on anything else last night so, surprise I started something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks Chashio

I have the demo, but like you say I can't show anything - not even here - till I get around to buying the thing! LOL!
    Glad you're playing with it
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Darker

The paler one looks a bit washed out to me (but you know me well enough by now to bear in mind that I'm a full rainbow sort of person )

And I'm still playing - between all these cities I'm working on! LOL!

EDIT: as for setting I'd say the paler one is a bit too modern school atlas for my taste, while the darker one seems to promise more secrets - ideal for a fantasy map

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Darker

The paler one looks a bit washed out to me (but you know me well enough by now to bear in mind that I'm a full rainbow sort of person )

And I'm still playing - between all these cities I'm working on! LOL!

EDIT: as for setting I'd say the paler one is a bit too modern school atlas for my taste, while the darker one seems to promise more secrets - ideal for a fantasy map
    Thanks Mouse

Yeah, I agree the light one is a bit washy as is. As happens, I just picked up a picture of a peacock and was thinking.. hmm, that'd be an interesting, colorful scheme to try. It has greens and blues and lighter greys for the larger parts of it so it could be tweaked for the darker one without a lot of trouble.

... 'darker one seems to promise more secrets' makes me want to challenge myself to make the light one full of mysteries. But maybe one thing at a time? .... Nah. [this is why I have so much trouble deciding ]
    I could go either route and have fun messing about.

You could use the light one to do an ISO mountainous icebound continent - adding the missing contrast by having little bits of really dark rock showing through?

EDIT: I bet you could make full use of your colour sense to make that ice look really cool... oops! No pun intended! Really!

Hahaha

Good ideas, thank you

Did a bit more with the dark-water version.
    The terrain light and shade are just roughed in on normal-blend layers using a hard round brush with pressure size+opacity and a bit of smudging and erasing. Did the highlights first, then a darker blue-green shadow, then the violet on top of that. That's as far as I've gotten.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 05 15 oblique-landmass dark-water wip2 KaitlinGray.PNG 
Views:	43 
Size:	658.1 KB 
ID:	95810

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast