Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: WIP Kingdoms of Kesh - Fantasy map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

A suggestion from SK (saying that it wouldn't be a problem for Mr maximum mapmaker...Damn german ) : adding a fourth map, bigger than the third ones on the bottom of the actual map ( Think that fill the whole width of the map) more detailed. Any thoughts about it?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    i think a single long timeline that stretched from top to bottom would look better. i think that's what SK is saying. not sure :p
    I like that idea...

Yes but not sure it will solve the current problem

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I think you are too sticky to the deviding history or the narratives sorted into the Form of the Design,
    History is a Flow, the 3 Maps only Moments of that Flow. So it should make a Lot of senses to has a continuous timeline. Let a structure guide you when its needed, and don't let it dominate your map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    A suggestion from SK (saying that it wouldn't be a problem for Mr maximum mapmaker...Damn german ) : adding a fourth map, bigger than the third ones on the bottom of the actual map ( Think that fill the whole width of the map) more detailed. Any thoughts about it?
    does it need it? unless there's a reason for it (ie something very different from the other maps that you can add to it that merits the extra size) i think the map looks fine as it is, also its more 'symmetrical' this way

Just seeing this again. Wow, you've really done some nice work here -Max-, kudos.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    does it need it? unless there's a reason for it (ie something very different from the other maps that you can add to it that merits the extra size) i think the map looks fine as it is, also its more 'symmetrical' this way
    I thought about it, no I think there's no specific reason to aff this fourth map and I agree that it will break the symmetrical look which isn't a good idea in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I think you are too sticky to the deviding history or the narratives sorted into the Form of the Design,
    History is a Flow, the 3 Maps only Moments of that Flow. So it should make a Lot of senses to has a continuous timeline. Let a structure guide you when its needed, and don't let it dominate your map
    So yea you're kinda true but imo a map have also to be pleasant to look at. So I still have mixed thoughts about it, the continuous timeline sounds good but it would "break" a bit that symmetrical look that make the map interesting to look at (at least I hope). And the basic idea that guided the structure of the map was to set up the three ages. At this stage I thin I need to think about it...

And Thanks much Arsheesh

I think the biggest twist my brain is muddled over with this is that the timeline that's positioned with each map doesn't go with that map. Maybe just me, but I'd think it'd be more ... ah ... I'm too tired to think of the word, but it'd make more sense to have the timeline items show up on the current map... so the events of each age's timeline are represented on the map next to that timeline. Does that make sense at all? So if you separated the maps they would each stand by themselves and tell their own story within that age... not reference another map.

Why are you putting the maps all on one page in the first place? Yeah, it's an interesting layout... I've never seen one like it to be sure... but if it were hanging on a wall I'd need a stepladder to see all the details properly; the only truly comfortable way to view it is on a computer screen with built-in zoom. My thought with the horizontal alignment of the maps, well, think of it like a scroll, or the pages of a History volume if you like. There are a lot of those. They work.

It just seems like the crux of your problem is that the maps and timelines don't match up so you're having to come up with a fix for the end/bottom of it. Maybe I'm too tired to think straight, but it all seems an unnecessary conundrum.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Basicly what Chashio said is waht I said severl times already. The alignment of the map to the Text dont make much sense for me, and I would just move down Timeline 1 and 2 become 2 and 3. Add a Origine storyline in Timetable 1 and all is solved.....

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

This. What sk said!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast