Thread: The Bleak Castle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

That's nice. Well laid out. As a random thought, I wonder what would happen if you added a light ink wash to the hill-filled areas around the parts that are underground, fading them out as you go toward the surface areas. Hmm. I think I like the other one better for the challenge. I'm getting a kick out of finding all the different traps.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    That's nice. Well laid out. As a random thought, I wonder what would happen if you added a light ink wash to the hill-filled areas around the parts that are underground, fading them out as you go toward the surface areas. Hmm. I think I like the other one better for the challenge. I'm getting a kick out of finding all the different traps.
    Thanks! That is a good idea with the ink wash. Obviously, I couldn't do that with the Sharpie, but now that it's scanned in I shouldn't have too much trouble. I'm going to take up some colored pencils (hate colored pencils) and give some color a go. If I like it, I'll post it here.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    I'm going to take up some colored pencils (hate colored pencils) and give some color a go. If I like it, I'll post it here.
    You might like to give a go with either or both of watercolor pencils or pastel pencils. I don't much like traditional colored pencils myself; they frustrate me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    You might like to give a go with either or both of watercolor pencils or pastel pencils. I don't much like traditional colored pencils myself; they frustrate me.
    I think I'll do just that. I'm also doing the village to the south right now... I should complete that tonight. I'm not sure what I have for watercolor pencils or anything along those lines, but I'll get some when I can.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by foremost View Post
    I'm not sure what I have for watercolor pencils or anything along those lines, but I'll get some when I can.
    Test them out with various techniques on scrap paper first to see what you like best. I prefer application via water brush (brush with a water-filled handle) but you can also just draw with them and wet the paper after the fact, etc etc.