Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Skandinavia in 1368

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I also like the colorless ocean, but I think the map became a bit contrastless at the same time, just my opinion of course but I think I'd have darkened the coastlines a tad. About the fonts I definitively prefer the original, the new looks to modern to me. Perhaps something in between the two could be found?

And yeah, Norway has some great looking coast. We never should have given them up.

Even though I do see where you're coming from with the inconsistent fonts, I can't help myself. I've fallen in love with the current style of the cartouche and it will stay in it's current form, at least for now.

I decided to add some small woodcuts at the coast (and don't even think they show up in this .jpg compression) and removed the color from the ocean. I think it looks pretty good for now, but I really want to see what it looks like when I start adding island names on the coast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scandinavia-FontTest.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	54528

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I think the country names are waaaaaayyyy to opaque and should be toned down. Also I would maybe also reduce the font size but increase the kerning.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I think the country names are waaaaaayyyy to opaque and should be toned down. Also I would maybe also reduce the font size but increase the kerning.
    I see what you mean. But next update will probably have to wait for the weekend when I have some free time.

Quote Originally Posted by thamupp View Post
    I'm looking into it now.
    And on a completely unrelated note, is this the worlds coolest looking coast?
    Attachment 54505
    Well, someone _did_ get an award for it...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

is that a hitchhikers guide reference i spot?

I believe this is the latest version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scandinavia-FontTest2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	55606

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks nice. The coat of arms on top of the cartouche popup too much on the map in my opinion. I'd tone it down or decrease its opacity to match the others elemnts of the map

Great project. I like that map.
    I'm looking forward for more.

Two little things: I don't know for sure, but I think "... nostri Jesu Christi" is written without cpital N.
    It may be a sort of style to start all words of a sentence with capitals, but it looks odd to me.

The other little thing is the black and white version of the kings shield. Why is it in black and white in the coat of arms and above in color?
    So if you use a black and white version, then I'd use the official black and white patterns for the blue and yellow colors instead of black.
    But the point is, that I wouldn't use a shield twice so close.
    Last edited by Freehand 5.5; 06-24-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Very much digging on this. Don't have any C&C for you, just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast