Don't worry about your relative level of expertise. You'll either get "better" or you will learn your style well enough that it becomes like your own "signature" style. Keep working on it. Use layers and duplicate layers so that you can experiment with different techniques and styles. Keep working on your mountains and forests and stuff. Right now the mountains look good, if somewhat large for the landforms. It isn't a "bad" thing per se, but it does stand out. Be aware that the River Police are en route to slap some cuffs on you. Rivers don't normally split up. Usually when you see a bunch of forks in rivers, they are upriver and the forks are joining together the make a singular river the flows towards the sea. The sunburst sort of reminds me of the Japanese Rising Sun.

Color is one of my major things with a map. There is a lot to be said for a sepia-toned or parchment shaded map, but I love to add color to my maps. The good news is that most of the techniques discussed in the tutorials and other sections are mostly color agnostic. The tutorial writer will typically tell you what colors he is using for his tutorial process, but that does not mean you can't experiment. Just remember to use layers, duplicate layers and keep a back up layer. Even if the tutorials you read aren't exactly what inspires you, a lot of them have information on different programs that might be something that would make your own map better. On the subject of tutorials, if you do try overhead style and you are a Photoshop user, take a look at Pasis' Terrain Tutorials. Excellent stuff.