Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: May/June 2013 Lite Challenge - Floating City of Khuramunz

Thanks all - made some changes to the ship and I think this is as far as I need to go with it (for now...) since most of the details are going to get lost in the overall city map anyways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ship.png 
Views:	17214 
Size:	515.7 KB 
ID:	55073

Here's a test of the ships thrown into the full map. Still gotta move them around to exactly where I want them and some other tinkering with their shadows...

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Khuramunz_v2.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	55072
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ship.JPG 
Views:	764 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	55071  
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The ship looks really good now. This is just a nitpick but all the ships looking the same looks a little "canned" Either way this is very good.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Agreed...thought about that as I was placing them. Just not sure of how else to do it. Originally, I was planning on making 3 types of ships (to represent the 3 major pirate factions - one that specializes in mercenary type work, another that does traditional bread and butter goods/slave smuggling, and the last one which is more of a stealthy type of pirate group.)...but not sure if I have the energy to do all that at the moment - so for now, its just one ship with the northern half facing counter-clockwise and the southern half facing clockwise. Open to any suggestions anyone has to placing them better.

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can certainly understand not wanting to do a bunch of different ships. As for placement I guess it would depend on what's easiest for the captains. Currents and wind direction all have an effect on a ship docking. If the currents are strong against the ship as it docks it might have to come in under sail or use some sort of winching maneuver whereby the ship lowers a smaller boat and the sailors row to the dock using the ships winches to pull the ship into her berth. Of course this is all probably too much detail but it's something to think about. Also while they all look very orderly, are pirate captains that neat? maybe you could try to move a few of the ships just a hair one way or the other to create a little more organic arrangement. In the end this is all just fluff on top of a great entry !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

AC, I am not sure what happened here but it seems that the Thumbnail scrapper is pulling up your ship instead of the town map. I tried to fix it but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I like what you have going here, and think that slight variations in ship size, angle and color would go a long way in breaking up the similarities.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Here's an update with some variation in color, size, and angle.

Name:	Khuramunz_V3.jpg 
Views:	1382 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	55087

*With Rope Bridges and some adjustments to the ocean layers.

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	186 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	55088
    Last edited by anomiecoalition; 06-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Yup, THAT broke up the similarities quite a bit. I LIKE IT

I just thought of something though...These ARE functioning ships right? Not just permanently tied to the docks right? 'Cause if the were fixed, why the sails.....?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Excellent with the new ships!

Guild Journeyer

This looks great AC. One idea would be to change the sail colors to show the factions.

Thanks guys!

@Korash - Yep, the majority are meant to be functioning ships that come and go as they please. As I envision it, the faction which controls the city in an administrative sense has a few ships at their disposal (bigger olive colored ships) which are relatively permanent (wouldn't want to leave it unprotected) but do venture out from time to time.

@Ken - Great suggestion, thought had crossed my mind, and may still do that

Redid the walls and some of the buildings...tried to clean a few things up. I'd like to start doing some labeling, but not sure how to do it without cluttering the whole thing up...

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	125 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	55137

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast