Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: World of Skenth WIP

As a simple rule, avoid overlapping 2 colors. Use white, grey, silver (trey are all the same) gold or black (is ok too I think) to combine with a color. They used to combine these metal with colors to give better contrast so the symbol could be easily recognised on the battlefield even from afar. You don't have to do it but it's an idea.

You could also use fur just like the Kingdom of France did with the gold fleur de lys or the flag of Brittany : Tincture (heraldry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit: there is a good tutorial here you could consider if you want to add more details : http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...tutorials.html
    It's just an idea because they already look good.
    Last edited by Azélor; 08-15-2013 at 11:39 PM.

I love, love, love this. The half-isometric mountains are excellent.

Very nice. I never suspected there were so many Kingdoms there on the map! The heraldry looks really good and clear.

This strikes me as a world in which there would be a lot of conflict. Especially with a couple of theocracies and mageocracies. Hell even one mageocracy is enough to drive endless conflict. Wizards man...

Azelor:
    Thank you for the resources on herladry It is cool to know that they would have considered differing specularity (ability to reflect light) of the metal colours versus standard colours. Is that what you meant? I've tried to focus the designs on being different from each other and being clear I guess over following conventional rules. I think I'll just keep the shields simple considering how small they are as well. I definitely appreciate the links!
    A good one I found is this

I'm unhappy with the shield for Artheylia and a few others. Like I may alter Skols and Eritthlia too for legibility too.

Naeddyr:
    Thank you very much! This map has taken me so long that I almost want to go back and redo the earlier mountains I've done but for my sanity I may resist lol. The next map can benefit right? haha

Falconius:

Thanks!

Yea, I was surprised when I did the count too! haha I ended up adding two more since I had heraldry I liked but couldn't put to use and it conveniently brought my total to 3 equal rows of 14. I tried to make the place a breeding ground for potential conflict Wizards and priesthoods both offer plenty of potential I imagine I wish I were better versed in fantasy plots involving them lol

Hopefully I'll get around to creating a series of maps showing the world at different points of its history with the different kingdoms at those specific eras. Maybe a map showing information showing some elements of their respective societies too such as language, religion, race and social structure information perhaps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skenth - The known world 029.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	540.5 KB 
ID:	57245 Here is new land. I've been redoing the north to make it blend easier into the rest of the map. If I were to do this map again it'd look different with northern regions being less separated. I had a polar region that seemed like a flat and unrealistic continent or a cap on a projection map but with a completely wrong scale.

I've been dragging this map out so long my technique has changed since the beginning. lol It has taken so long partially because I want to use the world for story telling purposes so it is not just simple cartography. The world I create in this map has to last a long while and provide enough realism and room for story potential. What I create sets limitations on my world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skenth - The known world 028.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	57243 Here is an update on the Heraldry.
    Last edited by Viking; 08-26-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Land Ho! And such beautiful land, too You spoil us Viking. But, please, keep it up!

Oh, you have a small discrepancy in that bottom-most subtitle... the map seems to have been produced in the year 5825, but the copyright is for 2013.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Aww thanks Chashio You're too kind! Yes, you're right about that discrepancy! I'll need to consult the letterists :p

Is the "Kindgom of Barast" meant to be spelled that way?

Beautiful !

Rdanhenry: No that is meant to be "Kingdom" like the others. Thanks for pointing that out as I appreciate that!

Azelor: Thanks man

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast