Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Skenth WIP

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Great work. Its a Map that waked my interests more than most others recently.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I'm trying to find the English word for the Swedish "fantasieggande", to describe my feeling for this map… Judging by your username you might be from a Nordic country, so maybe you understand what I mean, otherwise "stimulating to the imagination" is the best translation I can come up with. Either way, absolutely gorgeous map!

Guild Apprentice

"Fantasieggande", indeed! Absolutely beautiful map in all aspects. One can almost imagine the peoples of an early age forcing an existence in the maw of the great beast "Earth" unkown to the more civilized lands of the northwest. The exploring triremes making their way amongst the tail of that beast as they explore the world around them, the burgeoning trade in the isles as this cog and that sail to and fro, sailors and dockworkers in long knickers in the myriad ports, fishmongers hawking their catch, and the busty Norfolk harbourmaids casting naught but the most charming of smiles intended to lure the naive and separate any man from his coin.
    Also, I really enjoy this map.

Schwarzkreuz:
    Thank you so much That means a lot and is very encouraging!

Lingon:
    Alas although I like to think I have some viking in my blood I can't be sure! I do regard that region of the world fondly however Thank you for your kind words. I am glad my map is perhaps so evocative for you! That is the emotion I want my players to think too.

Kaelin: Thank you for your kind comment! Your response to the map is pretty awesome and I love how you describe what you envision! I think I can feed off your words creatively too haha.

In the history of my world there definitely have been a number of long forgotten or never heard of civilizations with the south east being far more primal than the north west. At this stage of history the world is far from virgin though the north western civilizations are in a state of rebuilding from being incredibly ravaged by a series of events unconducive to stability, culture and general progress. Being a fantasy world many of these forces are monstrous or hoard prone with some magical and regular plagues thrown in for texture. I want the world to be a dangerous place with those with laws and walls existing precariously while being surrounded by savage forces. The kingdom borders themselves as I've put them down represent uncontested claims that the kingdoms can manage secure. All the empty space outside them is inhabited by monsters or barbaric tribes that prohibit much organized territorial expansion. Most of Madenska itself has at various points had empires and peoples wash back and forth over it leaving vast stretches of "forsaken" littered with abandoned cities and farmland that has long ago gone fallow and wild.

Here is an update of the map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skenth - The known world 011.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	55190

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The drawings in the little round frames are very nice though they pop ub a bit too much. I'd tone done the colors (something closer to the map tone itself). For now It spreads attention from the map imo. Still some very good job

I see what you mean Max. Thank you!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I agree with Max, the border illustrations are realy a bit to heavy contrasted compared to the overall Map

While I do agree that the borders are bit too crisp compared to the more painterly style of the map I still have to say damn sir I need your skills because this is amazing.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I like the border pictures very much, especially the ent-tree : - ) But all of them are absolutely great!

Schwarzkreuz: Yea you're right I think. I'm going to work to subdue the contrast and maybe temper down the blacks.

LWD: Aww you're too kind! Honestly, it's just a matter of putting in the time y'know? There are no shortcuts to it sadly! haha
    I will try to fix up the border. As for detail level, hopefully they will balance out more as I put more into the landmasses and oceans.

Gallien: Thank you Hopefully I'll finish the "border portraits" soon.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast