Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Skenth WIP

My pleasure

Beautiful work! The compass looks good to my eye... it does pop off the map because of the finer style compared with the painterly strokes of the map-work, and with the way you've shaded it I'm inclined to believe that you meant to do it that way, plus it matches the border detailing. Yep.

A couple of things I'd probably tweak... Hopefully you're not finished with the SE landmasses, especially cleaning up around the bottoms of 'em. And, it could be my screen... your contrast on the map itself (overall, but esp the SE landmasses) appears hazy and indistinct--like a raw photo of the Maine coast in summer. It might be worth your while to use an adjustment layer with a custom mask to shove the contrast a little more into the clear.

Are you going to put anything into the empty, right corner? It might be an interesting place to place the title.

Oh, and one more thing... the shapes of your landmasses are epic.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I am realy amazed about your details and style. Do you intend to do regional maps of the different Locations on this world?

Chashio: Thanks so much on the generally extremely positive compliment
    Yes, generally the compass does look much like I intended! I have muted it a bit saturation wise but am not sure how much more I might modify it for the time being. I may try to make the gold sections of the border shine in appropriate spots to match the compass. It may also mesh better when I get the legend in as it will be of similar style. Oh yes- I plan to put a legend in the top right corner, or at least, I'm highly inclined to do so. It's good you caught the shading under the compass too. I have been toying with having the border elements and the legend casting shadows as if they were floating as well.

For the coming legend, I'm not %100 sure what information I will record there but it may be enough to justify a large size that would necessitate shoving over the Delnian Ilses westward or into the Dragon Ocean in the south west quarter of the map.

I definitely am not finished with the south east landmass just yet It is intended to be very wild, untamed and mysterious to the inhabitants of the so called civilized lands in the north west which themselves have gone through a contraction of their organization and relative strength in recent centuries. Happily, I have been putting a lot of time into it over the last few days so it is showing some progress. I mean for the equator of the world to lay over that lower south eastern continent and want to give it a hot feeling as if it were mostly covered in jungle, desert or arid shrub land, all of which I suppose are quite different from maine at any time of the year lol. Needless to say I still need to put some work into it lol.

Here is an update of the southern continent:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skenth - The known world 014 south east.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	477.1 KB 
ID:	55550

As I see it I still need to do the following in no particular order of priority or sequence:
    1. Finish the portraits
    2. Finish the south eastern continent.
    3. Create and finish the legend.
    4. Finish the arctic region.
    5. General polishing.

Schwartzkreuz: Thanks I don't plan on doing all regions of the world though I certainly will do a few. I want to do one of the island of Arinthia. I did one based around a city on the eastern part of the bay in Arinthia already actually. It can be found here I did this one first however.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skenth - The known world 015.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	55575

Here is an update.
    Things added and worked on:
    -More detail on south east continent
    -Added grid and compass directional lines (inspired by some of Max's maps!) which I then proceeded to almost hide lol.
    -I finally brought the remaining two border portraits int he bottom right to an acceptable level of finish though I still will likely add touch ups.
    -I have started on the legend. I may move those little islands just to the left of it somewhere else, probably a tad west.
    -I changed the shape of Maldia to more resemble a dragon, though this may be a little heavy handed. It is inhabited by dragon like humanoids.
    -I faintly added some region names to clear in my mind what kind of uncivilized creatures are occupying the unclaimed spaces but I don't want to go crazy with this in fear of "locking" my world in. I may well remove them and you can hardly read them at this resolution anyways.

Things to do:
    -Finish land masses, in particular the northern arctic and the south eastern continent. Notably, I am redoing a major river there.
    -I may modify the compass more.
    -I am not yet finished with the political matters and what details to add.

That is all I can think of for now.
    Last edited by Viking; 06-23-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks fantastic, especially the small images in the border.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

At least I inspired something on this map (even a hidden thing) On a serious note, great job as always!

Thank you Sapiento!

Thanks Max!

Wow, great map - I wish I cold paint like that. Thanks for posting the WIP images. One day I might try doing something like this.
    The dragon head bay and dragon-like body of the SE continent is a bit too fantastic for me, but hey, it's fine if it works for you.
    As for the compass, I'd tilt it 22.5 degrees to the right. It will flow in the same direction as your projection then.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast