Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: World of Skenth WIP

I hear what you're saying about the outlines from a distance. I changed the regional geographical names to Gabriola and it does add to the clarity I think. Here is a part of the map at 100% I feel like I can see the light at the end of this project soon. I still need to do some fiddling with label placement but from this point I just need to finish the heraldry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skenth - The known world 024.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	56270

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Is it the final print size?

It is yes.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh, I like that font MUCH better. Much more legible IMO and doesn't take up as much room.

Me too now that I'm used to it It seems better all around.

I've just been experimenting with heraldry. I'm not sure if I shall give each city its own emblem or only each nation. There is only so much space on that floating box I have so I may add a section to the right with heraldry as I've seen done before around here.

I'd like to show which nations are kingdoms, which republics, which magocracies, which theocracies too. I'd like to add some other information too such as which cities contain which major organizations and their lowest social state the nation legally allows (being either slave, serf, or freeman)

If I put only nations I get enough room in the floating box but if all cities then not. The poster size I'll be printing on will have a bit of extra space since when I sized up the image a while ago I kept the ratio it was at. I just realized if I do a list on the side I could list each sovereign state (most of which will only be represented by a single city) and have major cities with heraldry listed under each.

If I do the side bar I'll need to fill up the floating box with extra text which usually is not a problem for me or map information. Perhaps I could create icons for areas currently plagued by piracy or even have a mini map showing some information such as racial distribution... many possibilities I suppose.

Name:	heraldry 4.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	798.7 KB 
ID:	56582

I have been referring to this amazing little site here so I'm aware I'm bucking a few conventions.

I'd appreciate any comments on the images I've come up with so far. I've posted at full size because some lines are 1 pixel wide which I may seriously regret when I print this!!! A3, E3 and E6 are probably not clear enough for instance. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
    Last edited by Viking; 08-01-2013 at 09:25 PM.

I would say stick to the heraldry of the major rulers like kings and so forth, if there are families which have power that vies with the rulers you may want to include their holdings instead of putting them under the rulers. Then again you don't have too many cities and countries defined on the map so you may be able to get away with the holders of each city. It looks like you have room for like 30 or so crests if you keep it simple like it is. If you wanted though you could do more elaborate crests, and/or more detailed denotation of what the thing represents (other than just their name).

If it were up to me I'd choose less clutter and not overwhelming the viewer with too much heraldry. What with the amount of family and political ties generated just among the ruling class, dealing with that would be a lot of information to tackle and try to convey in any meaningful sense (I mention this only because it was often visually evident in the heraldry).

Thank you Falconius,
    I think your advice is really sound. It probably does make a lot of sense to just focus on the nations and to keep things simpler. I definitely want to stay away from some of the rediculously complex heraldry out there like anything resembling later habsburg heraldry lol. I think to be safe I'll go through and simplify some of the shields further for clarity, like removing the chevron from C5 for instance.

Gorgeous map you have there. It is completely clean and easy to read. Love the font. The heraldry I don't know much about, but I like designs

I have been sitting on this for a while as I've been trying to hold off sharing more till I'm done as I feel I am getting rather close! What the heck though. Here is an update on the legend cartouche at about 70%. In terms of heraldry I may try to fill some of the white areas with colour. Thoughts in general?

Name:	Skenth - The known world 026.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	928.8 KB 
ID:	56909
    Last edited by Viking; 08-15-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast