Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    You beat me to it! (another boingboing reader?)
    LOL! Guilty as charged. When I saw that vid I instantly thought of this thread.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yes, our galaxy rotates around a supermassive black hole - and indeed we know how massive the black hole is. Neutron stars also exist, they are collapsed stars that are not massive enough to form a black hole. They consist only of neutrons (hence the name) and are as compact as the nucleus of an atom, but are macroscopic (big) objects. They are therefore the densest material in the universe and pretty exotic.

So you are right that both of these types of objects are large heavy objects that don't emit light. They are also very localised and so wouldn't show up through their obstruction of light (you'd have to be able to resolve something about a kilometer wide as far away as alpha centauri to see the shadow of a neutron star). So they get around the dust evidence too.

As I understand it there's a few reasons why it can't be black holes or neutron stars. Firstly, and I think least convincingly, is that we can see black holes and neutron stars to some extent. Black holes pull in matter and collect a disk of host gas and dust around them. As this gas falls into the black hole, it's going pretty fast and there are interactions with the rest of the dust that's falling in. This gives off radiation and can be seen. So though we cannot see the black hole itself, we can see the accretion disk of matter that it gathers. Okay, so you could have a black hole without a disk for some reason, or a lot of small black holes without visible disks or so on, but it would be had to justify where all of them come from. Equally, neutron stars spin and there are effects on the objects around them that allow us to get a fair estimate of how many there are.

The reason I don't like that answer is because it relies on complete faith in our pretty indirect methods of detection of these objects. However I am not an astrophysicist so I can't tell you what kind of errors you'd expect on the measurement (estimate?) of the amount of mass that is bound up in black holes and neutron stars.

The other reasons that I find a little more convincing are firstly that we know that the mass of dark matter must be distributed throughout the galaxy, and that this distribution should be relatively smooth. In contrast, a load of black holes would be lumpy. You can measure the movements of stars and use that to constrain the distribution of the mass that they are being affected by. I have been to a couple of talks that have claimed that we can now show that large concentrations of matter are now ruled out by such tests, but again, I'm not an expert on those studies. Also, they tend to rely on large numerical simulations of galaxies to prove their results and people aren't certain about the accuracy of those yet. We probably need more computer power to answer that one conclusively.

However the best reason I know of is that dark matter has to have existed in the early universe. By studying the last light from the big bang we see that there must have been a lot of matter that did not interact strongly with the plasma. Now all the matter we know of would interact strongly, so we need something else. The same matter is needed to amplify small fluctuations in the early universe and turn them into galaxies and stars. Now neutron stars and black holes are both the results of dying stars so our evidence for dark matter precedes the time at which we expect black holes and neutron stars to appear on the scene.

That's the reasons I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously each has ways out and we definitely need to obtain a better estimate of the amount of matter in neutron stars and black holes in the universe, but the weight of evidence seems to say that they aren't the matter we're looking for,

I've taken some college physics, but dark matter, dark energy and a lot of other cutting edge theoretical stuff, hardly ever got a mention in the courses I took. Every resource I've found via search engine on these topics is either too dumbed down to be useful, or too advanced for me to possibly understand. Your replies are pleasantly neither. Thank you.

While a lot of aspects of the standard model are completely beyond my ken, I do know that finding the various particles responsible for the various forces is ultimately essential. I'm optimistic that they will succeed, although I don't believe that the standard model will get thrown away overnight if they don't. I'm always keen on learning about the scientific cutting edge.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't read my introductory post, thanks for recommending this site to me.
    Last edited by yu gnomi; 08-01-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Ok, so it's now August.... exactly which day does the world end? I seem to recall you saying it would be before my birthday on the 13th, so I need to get all my partying planned out before I die....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I believe that around the 13th is still current. Nobody's saying any more than that yet. I'll let everyone know if I find out any more.

I have a question. What is it going to be powered with, and how loud is it going to be when it fires up?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

It gets powered off the standard electricity grid. They buy in a large quantity of electricity and that is drawn in from French power stations.

I don't think it will make much of a noise when it starts up - though you'd have to hope that it would make kind of whoooom-thrum-thrum-thrum noise. Sadly the noise of a hadron collider was never covered in my courses

I guess not a lot of noise though as there are no moving parts. It's a matter of large magnets and electrical currents - the same as a TV screen just on a much larger scale. So there's no obvious source for noise. As for the collisions themselves, they are very small and a very long way away from anyone who might be able to hear them. So I guess it's a matter of - does a colliding proton beam make a noise if there's no-one there to hear it?

Other news - it looks like the beam people have done their job and the ring is pretty much ready to take the beam. Now it is a matter of getting the two detectors (ATLAS and CMS) finished so that they can close the caverns and turn it on. This is good news and means there should be a beam in the ring in August, but it's looking like first collisions will be pushed back a little. There are conflicting reports from different people and no official news yet, so it's still a little unclear. I'll post more when I find out more.

Oh, and Yu-gnomi. Thanks for the comments. That's precisely the balance I've been trying to strike. I'm glad I'm succeeding to some extent!
    Last edited by torstan; 08-05-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I guess not a lot of noise though as there are no moving parts. It's a matter of large magnets and electrical currents - the same as a TV screen just on a much larger scale. So there's no obvious source for noise.
    So I take it you're one of those lucky people who can't hear the flyback transformer in a TV.

Lessee, these particles are travelling near the speed of light, yes? So that's 299,792 km / s. The thing is 27 km in circumference, so that gives a frequency of about 11.1 kHz, which is about where the letter 'S' lives, if I recall my equalizer cheat sheet correctly.

So if it were exposed, it would sound like an enormous snake, but frequencies that high are easily absorbed by the earth, so I doubt anyone will be able to hear it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Well the particles themselves are travelling in a vacuum so they shouldn't create any noise. However the electromagnetic currents that are used to accelerate them in the radio frequecy cavities are likely to cause stresses on the machine that will create noise. However any noise is lost energy, as well as repetitive stress, so I'm guessing that they have minimised it as much as they can. Interesting note about the frequency though. I love the fact that the LHC should sound like 's'.

Update, the first particles should go round the ring on the 10th of September. That's the official date released by CERN. No collisions that day I expect but hopefully closely following it. So it looks like I might get my wedding in before we definitely don't end the world.

Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast