Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cats, I hate cats...I'm extremely allergic to the durn little furry beasts.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

So it appears that all your work is for nothing Torstan. At least that is what Hawking says, and if he says it than you know it must be true.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

It could be Prof. Hawking's habit of backing something both ways.
    i.e. If the LHC finds something, he loses $100 but gets the joy of CERN having discovered something. If CERN fails to find anything, at least he gets $100.

He did something like this for his black hole theory (a complete set of the Encyclopaedia Britannica vs. a year subscription to Playboy IIRC).
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well, not quite. He says they won't find the Higgs boson, but goes on to say this:

While questioning the likelihood of finding Higgs Bosons, Hawking said the experiment could discover superpartners, particles that would be "supersymmetric partners" to particles already known about.

"Their existence would be a key confirmation of string theory, and they could make up the mysterious dark matter that holds galaxies together," he told the BBC.
    I work on supersymmetric dark matter. Nuff said.

I think they should find the Higgs, because almost any theory suggests you should see it. To hedge my bets though I have a paper on a Higgsless model, because frankly we don't know and I don't want to be out of a job if they don't find it!

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I saw that over on the RPTools forum thread and just about fell out of my chair laughing. That is awesome!!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post

Gotta like it, short and to the point!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

http://hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/

Heh I thought they were the same. Anyways, I'm kinda on the fence about how it went today. I mean awesome we're still here, but I was hoping it would all end, I have it in my mind it would be hilarious. Maybe I'm crazy
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Now that's my kind of website! Short and to the point, nothing misleading, no spin, easy to navigate, excellent
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Check out the HTML source for the site. Specifically look at the comment tags.

Oh, and if you don't find it. He created an RSS Feed for the page.
    Last edited by RPMiller; 09-11-2008 at 11:47 AM.

Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast