Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Heck, I don't hear anything about it here in the states. It's all politics and disasters.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Complete aside but if Torstan gets to see this pic from the beeb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-14745576

Doesn't the lightning bolt in this image seem odd. Why doesn't it ground itself through the iron work ? How can it come back out of the structure ? Why doesnt the strike hit the lighning conductor on the top of the tower. All looks odd to me.

Maybe the lightning bolt is actually miles away from the tower; just looks like it's enmeshed within it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

On the lightning - my guess is that it's a good distance behind the tower - otherwise you're right, it should go through the tower itself.

On the Higgs. It's not ruled out. I'm having a look through that article now.

First off - Peter Higgs is English, he's just based in Edinburgh. That doesn't bode well for the accuracy of the article...

Ah, okay. Thats a misleading article. The range that contains the 95% claim that it's not there is >145GeV. The Standard Model wouldn't want a Higgs that heavy anyway, and models of physics beyond the standard model would prefer a Higgs closer to 115GeV. There have been some hints around 140 GeV that look promising - but we need to wait for more statistics to be sure. They'll know for sure within 6 months. My guess at this point - including whispers aroud the department - is that we'll see a Higgs around 140, which is too heavy for the Standard Model (pretty much) and much too heavy for minimal Supersymmetry. That rules out my two of my thesis papers but points to a non-supersymmetric solution to a couple of long standing problems - or a non minimal version of supersymmetry with a few more particles in it.

There are good reasons to expect that a non-minimal version of supersymmetry is the answer and finally it looks like we're getting the data to allow us to actually explore that. Terms about to restart, which means we're about to start internal seminars again. Higgs hunting will be high on the agenda, so if I hear anything (that I'm allowed to repeat) I'll post about it here. The LHC is certainly pulling its weight. It now has half as much data as the tevatron accumulated in its entire lifetime - and they've managed that in 6 months. There's a lot of stuff to come from this in the next 6 months.

Blog Entries

Thanks Torstan, I shall roll back my state machine to the time when there is a few blips of probability and it needs more data to be sure.

There was a good program on the telly a few weeks back about the LHC etc with Prof Cox and he held up a sheet of paper with the standard model equations written on it. Since I had never seen it written down I was quite surprised to see how big it is. Almost all of the equations I know of can be described in a few words roughly what they are talking about. This one seems like a series of terms which summed up make up the standard model. Are all of these terms different things - like the G, the m, and r^2 in gravity or is it a series of different parts of the same kind of thing, like a equation matrix multiply. Basically why is it so large ? I have trawled the web and no web sites list the standard model in this way. Maybe it was written in a longhand form. The best I came up with is this article about a mug...

http://www.quantumdiaries.org/2011/0...a-factor-of-2/

Even tho they say its wrong they do give some clues about the origins of some of the terms.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Ah, okay. Thats a misleading article. The range that contains the 95% claim that it's not there is >145GeV. The Standard Model wouldn't want a Higgs that heavy anyway, and models of physics beyond the standard model would prefer a Higgs closer to 115GeV. There have been some hints around 140 GeV that look promising - but we need to wait for more statistics to be sure. They'll know for sure within 6 months. My guess at this point - including whispers aroud the department - is that we'll see a Higgs around 140, which is too heavy for the Standard Model (pretty much) and much too heavy for minimal Supersymmetry. That rules out my two of my thesis papers but points to a non-supersymmetric solution to a couple of long standing problems - or a non minimal version of supersymmetry with a few more particles in it.

There are good reasons to expect that a non-minimal version of supersymmetry is the answer and finally it looks like we're getting the data to allow us to actually explore that. Terms about to restart, which means we're about to start internal seminars again. Higgs hunting will be high on the agenda, so if I hear anything (that I'm allowed to repeat) I'll post about it here. The LHC is certainly pulling its weight. It now has half as much data as the tevatron accumulated in its entire lifetime - and they've managed that in 6 months. There's a lot of stuff to come from this in the next 6 months.
    blahdy blah... to many big science words.... just tell me if you guys are still gonna make a black hole that will destroy the planet... especially useful would be the exact date so I can make one of those big poster board signs... I still think it's gonna be Dec 21 of next year just like the Mayan's predicated..
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

destroy the planet, time to max out the credit cards then
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The LHC won't be destroying the world. At least not until it's upgraded to its design energy sometime in the next 18 months to 2 years.

The mug is correct (with the debatable exception of the h.c. term). The Lagrangian on the mug details all the interactions between the different types of particles. In this case each 'letter' in the equation is actually a vector or a matrix. So there's a lot of connections encoded into those letters, which is how they can hold the details for every different type of interaction in them.

I'd be interested to see the 'longhand' version you saw. There are certainly ways of writing it out a lot more explicitly than it's done on the mug. For example, the second line on the mug includes this part:

This details the interactions of the fermions (electrons, quarks, muons etc) with the carriers of the electroweak force (photons, W bosons, Z bosons). In the mug's version most of this is hidden in the definition of D-slash in the middle. As mos of the things in the equation above are also matrices, you can see that writing out every term in that equation would quickly get enormous - which is why vectors and matrices are so important and useful.
    Last edited by torstan; 09-02-2011 at 04:44 PM.

It's all Greek to me, heh heh.

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast