Thread: Hello!

Guild Novice

Default Hello!

Hello to anyone who reads this!
    I joined up with you guys in hopes to better myself in building better maps. My grandfather use to help map the entire arctic north for Canada in a plane and mapped PEI for Canada's Archives back in the day. His efforts helped naval ships from US and Canada to better scout out the north and define borders more accurately before GPS was used for this.
    So I've been exposed to very detailed maps of all kinds of varieties. I've always had the interest in cartography but never went for it as a career.
    When I was a lot younger, I created a fantasy world of my own which I used in DnD games with friends, and made some DOS games from it. I’ve taken up the idea of bringing back my fantasy world.
    I’ve created several documents on the world itself, the things and races within it, and the complex concept of magic and so forth.
    I’ve outlined already a map of my own, but it looks awful when I make it digitally.
    My focus right now is creating a planet 4x the size of earth in Photoshop. The plan is to make it as complex and diverse as possible so it can be fragmented and used in stories and in hopes a really immersive video game one day.
    Like all big visions, you need to work on the small things, like actually knowing how to use Photoshop. Maybe even just working on one continent at a time or a simple island. I’ve been watching a lot of tutorials on this site (thanks YouTube for making it easier for everyone), and felt the need to join up in the community. So one day I can contribute back to people like me who want to take an idea they had their entire life and make it a reality.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

Hello! And welcome! you in the right place to do all that! Go scour thought the tutorials section! There great reads there to help you get started with PS

Welcome to the Guild ready0055! I agree with Miranda, while there certainly are some great map-creation tutorials on Youtube, there are several great map tutorials here as well, and you should have a look at them before you begin. Let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh