Yeah, I've yet to focus on the castle in the project!

This is a fictional castle, and though it does not have a real location, I'd like to take on classic English architecture because of it's aesthetically pleasing symmetry.

I was thinking the project would depict the castle in the early 14th century. Earlier castles were normally of the Motte and Bailey type or just towers. While a bigger castle means I'll have more opportunity to provide a full defense run-down, it will have some ties to the motte-and-bailey style. This is a direct result of how it was constructed: I'm glad you brought that up!

Timeline:

1308: First construction of a noble's residence begins. After two months of work, the residence is completed. It is little more than a mansion made out of lumber and stone.

1310: The residence is inherited by the noble's only son (upon the death of his father), who expands it, upgrading the wooden walls into those of stone. Seeking to improve the beauty of the estate, the son orders a stream to be placed around the castle.

1317: With conflict approaching, the noble's son once more expands the keep, adding in walls, a stone bridge (not a draw-bridge), and deepening the stream into a moat.

1320-1327: A village grows up around the keep, providing it with food, resources, and soldiers.

1328: An enemy force destroys the village, but pardons the noble family and the keep.

1329-1335: The village is rebuilt, and a wall is implemented to defend against additional attacks. The noble's son orders the building of another moat (which is to be connected to the first) to protect the village. Thus, a castle is formed.

Any problems anyone noticed? I plan to begin working on this tonight.