Thread: Deserted Mines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well, I changed the layout a lot from the sketch as a few things didn't really fit together. I'm having to change the mine layour as well. The lines for that will be posted next.

Right, some basic lines for the inside of the mines. This is going to be a very basic set of maps tonight as I really have no time to colour these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mines.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	5062

... and here's the lower level - accessed through a hole in the 'throne room' floor. It'll be more obvious when it's a little further along.

Name:	MinesLower.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	5063

Groovy. I've been needing some raw dungeon maps to test out some of my revised dungeon-ink playground routines in Photoshop, so I snagged your first level to see how it would come out (since I hadn't really tested the routine on lines quite like these yet). Came out kinda nice! If it wouldn't be rude to do so, let me know and I'll post it here for your amusement.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Okeydoke. Bear in mind that these patterns are optimized for print rather than screen, but here's a downsampled (144dpi) .GIF file that shows it pretty clearly on the screen, accompanied by a full-resolution 600dpi PDF version for print.

The method is pretty simple stuff:

(A) Convert dungeon map into a simple white-on-black map (white for open space, black for solid earth).
    (B) Run a routine to blur out the edges and mark off the griddable areas (one-click Action).
    (C) Drop it through a pattern, in this case a little home-jobby I keep around for Uresia projects (which is what this particular routine was built for).

So, very similar to how I do my island maps and such ... the main difference is the nature of the edge-blur, which I'm randomizing more heavily for the dungeons, and the grid.

Thanks for not minding me playing with your map. It's a good way for me to wake up (had a long night ...)

(Obviously, it still needs the full treatment: labels, perhaps a spiffy logo, etc - but even as a raw conversion of the map lines, it's still kinda nice) ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mines-Uresia-Ized.pdf   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mines-Uresia-Ized-144dpi.gif 
Views:	104 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	5065  

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Well that's a lot prettier than my quick attempt:

Name:	Mines.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	429.0 KB