Thread: Kragmorta - Underground City and mega battlemap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is great! Thanks for sharing it. I'm a fan of big battle maps, mostly because I use them in a skirmish game (on VTT) where the virtual size is up to 96x48 squares, representing a 4' x 8' game table.

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: Having had a closer look a the full size map, it strikes me that you could make it a bit messier! You've got some discrete piles of debris there, but right now it does look like the inhabitants might be sweeping it clean on a regular basis. Of course, that's allowed...

Guild Novice

Thanks Meshon,

I took your advice and dirtied up the floor a bit more with textures and Photoshop filters rather than objects since the .psd file was already almost 600mb. I also cleaned up some of the debris piles they had too much stroke on them and looked bad.

I forgot to mention in the initial post that I made the map entirely in Photoshop CS6 using layer masks for the floors/walls/lava/lake. And then I took some boulder objects I had that looked suitably organic. I added black shadowed doorways and smoke holes, then added some mushroom growths on rooftops. I made a few variations and these became the rockshaped buildings. The grasses on the shorelines are a stock Photoshop brush to which I added highlights/midtones/shadows coloration.