Thread: Image size & resolution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I read the Dunjinni forums for pointers there. If I remember rightly, they all seem to prefer 200px per 5 foot when doing encounter maps, but will settle for 100 or 150. For city or regional maps I don't know though, maybe in the CC3 website forums.

That'd be 40 px / foot, then. I'll adjust my earlier advice to suit.

Incidentally, as Gamerprinter pointed out some months ago, if you design at 200 px / 5 feet, 200 dpi, and a printed scale of 1" = 5 feet, your printed image res and VTT image res are identical.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    That'd be 40 px / foot, then. I'll adjust my earlier advice to suit.

Incidentally, as Gamerprinter pointed out some months ago, if you design at 200 px / 5 feet, 200 dpi, and a printed scale of 1" = 5 feet, your printed image res and VTT image res are identical.
    ooooo... 200px/5' and 200dpi equal to 1"=5' is a very very handy little tip ... thanks for pointing that piece of info out ... and thanks to GP for all his industrious work for printed battle maps and ratios of screen to print .... I love you guys

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

50px per 5 foot works fine in maptool, but then that's for practical issues which include sending it remotely - which you don't need to worry about. If you just want it for taking screenshots, then figure out the smallest area you'd want a screenshot of - say a 40' wide area - then make sure your image looks good at that resolution on your screen. I'd guess that for an ENworld screenshot you don't want to go to anything wider than 1000px, so that would give you a base resolution of 1000/40=25px per 5 feet. If you wantt o take a screenshot where the map shows something 20' wide then make sure your map looks good at 50px/5'. Any detail above this is only useful if you wnat to zoom in on a single square, or small group of squares. Nice for players within a VTT, but not really an issue if you're the one deciding what gets captured in a screenshot.

On a side note - maptool has 'export as player' and 'export as GM' functions, as well as the ability to place grid reference numbers along both sides of the map. Handy for pbp games, ig this is the use you are putting it to.