I need help from Pros of graphics software I don't use. I'm writing a Map Tutorials Guide applicable to all (many) graphics applications, however, I don't use all those other graphics apps.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how would you do these effects in your preferred application of choice with a brief explanation of specific tools or steps to take in accomplishing the task. Create a shape, cut one shape from another, use layers, linear/circular transparency effects, fractal transparency allowing you to see parts of a shape beneath another shape.

Although, the tutorial guide won't address use of bump maps as in GIMP, would a GIMP pro be willing to offer a short tutorial on using bump maps in GIMP? Would a Photoshop Pro be willing to do the same regarding Photoshop's version of similar effects?

I wouldn't mind seeing offerings in Photoshop, GIMP, Paintshop Pro, CorelDraw, Illustrator, Inkscape, or any other similar software I haven't thought of?

Below is a graphic also addressing some specific results - describe how you'd make the effect happen in your application of choice. One of my questions is how limited are your bevel capabilities. In Xara for instance I can create a bevel that uses the entire shape, not just the edge of it - what are the bevel limits your given software of choice.

Also, while I seeking free offers, here, I am willing to pay someone to write detailed tool choice, explanations and techniques in Photoshop, GIMP, Inkscape, or other, and give credit in the guide upon publication.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	how-would-you-do-it.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	55571