Thread: Ruined temple district (WIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    I heard about virtual gaming tables as quite expensive devices.
    What table do you use for this project? What product? How big is the screen size?
    Do you use the original miniatures on your table or are they virtual, too?
    Or do you simply speak of playing online via a platform like vassal?

Btw: I do not play the game Mortheim. I said we play >in< Mortheim - just the setting.
    We use the miniatures but RPG rules (the german Trauma Universalrollenspiel from FlyingGames.de) unfolding
    even more complex stories and gaming as in the tabletop.
    Such a map of yours would be quite handy for me being the game master.
    Printed maps are much more convenient for RPG scenes instead of building up 3D scenery like in the tabletop game.
    Haha, I'm cheap, so yes I'm referring to an online virtual table. The one we use is MapTool and I've built a framework for playing the Mordheim game.

Very cool that you are using it as a setting! My group has gone a bit of a different direction, but we've adapted the core Mordheim setting to our own game world, in which we also play D&D. So sometimes we play skirmish games and sometimes roleplaying, but all in the same world.

I imagine I will be breaking the map down into smaller sections to work on, so I will maybe have something you can use before the whole project is completed.

The only problem might be that I am building it at 100px per inch resolution, so it might not look great printed. The file is just too big for me to work any higher though.

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Novice

Nice Meshon, I look forward to seeing how this works out. I play on a Virtual table top also (Fantasy Grounds 2) and have wondered how to build a cityscape with unambiguous elevation changes too.

I've recently started messing with heightmaps/bumpmaps which I feel could be a good way to do it if used properly and in a subtle way not the typical mountain terrain building way.

I have a finished map I posted today that uses the technique and links to the tutorial I used. (Link in sig to the Sandy Ravine encounter map in my finished maps)

Anyway, look forward to seeing how you work it all out.

If its applicable I could use a technique for a similar situation with a sunken city lying at a 30 degree angle, I have no clue how to depict that in an unambiguous and attractive way on a VTT
    Photoshop newbie =)

My Finished Maps