Thread: WIP: World of Aethiir

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Well done for getting to where your at. Are you printing it off or interactive image?

Think at the min your try to hit it with a sledge hammer, it's lacking finesse. I think your grid doesn't help, try a bigger scale grid every 1000miles with legend for smaller units. I feel that your labelling wrong. Every Feels like the same importance. Little islands maybe italic bended round the island.

Your right about the saturation seem very heavy. You embossing off all the islands doesn't help, it doesn't convey any information such as heights or places, dock. How about some current lines or wind lines.

Think you have a way to go, but your making good steps.

Good points, thanks for the feedback.

I will have things that I track digitally, but there will be a static copy printed for player reference once the base map is finished.

Names for major locations will be enlarged so they're more prominent.

I don't want them to have to measure when they need to travel (which will be frequently), so 1,000 mile squares is impractical for my intended use. Most of the islands are only 100-200 miles apart. Currently it has a 50 mile grid (a day's travel in a larger vessel). I'll think about increasing it to 100 mile squares. It's a tiny, little world; the whole thing is only 6400 miles around!

Hadn't thought about docking locations. For the smaller islands I'll probably hand wave it so they just arrive at their destination, but the larger islands could definitely use some ports. Good suggestion.

The grid is definitely staying in some form (maybe the same, maybe larger, not sure yet). I think extra lines for currents, wind, trade routes, etc. would jumble and confuse the oceans. Would you agree? If it won't look too messy I'll give it a go.