Thread: Region/City WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I generally approach things from the aesthetic whole point of view and the colors here make me drool...superb. The only thing I saw that struck me as odd was some of the, I assume to be, mountains (gray things) stop abruptly at the water line; I'd fade them out a bit. If they aren't mountains then forget what I just said

What is interesting here is that I usually don't like saturated colours on a map, (although I spend my life trying to find the exception to prove the rule) but in this instance they have been used really well and make the map look really rich.

Are the islands going to be connected to the mainland by bridges? I see some of the islands are connected, but I didn't see them connected to the mainland.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Makes perfect sense so disregard what I said (except the drooling part).

Ascension & Ravells-

Thanks! Actually, the land mass started out with much *more* vibrant colors... I kept looking at it, saying "something's just /not working/..."

Then I added a desaturation layer over all of the land (land base, marsh texture and cloud texture) and finally said, "....aaaaaahhhh."

As for the "mountains"- Not so much mountains as rock outcroppings - with the marshland on the coast, theres probably not a lot of elevation in the immediate surroundings, but there might be a few areas of rocky hills, helping to divide (retain?) the water table. I don't think any of the "hills" are more than 50-100 feet tall... All very low... At least, those were my initial impulses

So, for example - look at the outcropping just NW of "The Stench" - it fades up from the surrounding grassland as it proceeds NW, implying (to me) a gentle rise from grass and dirt to rocky hillside. Then, yes, it stops abruptly at the river, which (again, to me) implies a very small cliff or bluff overlooking the waterway.

Does that make sense, or do you have any ideas on how to make that more apparent?

PD