Thread: Cailltir - Capital City of Araniell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

So here's the second Cailltirian district. It's the southernmost part of the city, the place where houses are small and close together, the place where the kind of business happens that doesn't stand the daylight. A necessary attribute for any self-respecting city, but not one to be taken lightly. For that reason, it's seperated from the city proper by a thick wall, and a moat in front of that, so if a fire should break out in the Pit (as the district is called), the rest of the city is not affected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cailltir-2.2.jpg 
Views:	1109 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	55964

Keep in mind that the shadows, the colour cast, the coastline etc are still preliminary. All of that will be changed and finetuned afterwards. I also did a quick combination of this district and the previous one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cailltir-2.12.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	55963

Now I'm looking at it, it seems the building blocks of my first district are quite a bit too large - I may have to redraw them. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I actually like both styles. I've seen several town maps created using Pyrandon's tutorial and yours is one of the more promising ones. Too bad it looks like you won't be completing it. But on in the plus column I am keen to see you flesh out the second map a bit more.
    Actually, I might still decide to continue the Pyrandon look! It shouldn't be too hard changing the colour of the building blocks, and I already have the background ready. So basically, I think I should be able to do both a parchment-ish map, and a coloured one. But that's for the distant future. Right now, all I can think of is drawing district 3 is my main concern .
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 07-10-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!