Quote Originally Posted by Vinoex View Post
Very Nice. Do you have an overview map that just out lines the districts. I'm curios to what the overall map will look like.
Thanks Vinoex, I'm glad you like it! With regards to your question on the districts: I don't have a dedicated districts map, but you can use the one at the beginning of this thread: every part of the city that is/used to be behind city walls is a separate district. Most walls have disappeared by the time Cailltir reached the size shown in the map, but the moats are still there.

Basically there's 8 districts:

1. Old Town
    the semicircular district built around the old motte and bailey castle that's the seed of the city.
  2. King's Hill
    the district north of Old Town, grown around the new royal castle on the hill of the same name.
  3. Goldvale
    the district southeast of King's Hill, which arose along the road to the New Palace (to the south). This is where the rich and famous have their crib.
  4. The Pit
    the district south of Old Town. The Pit is actually situated outside the city walls, separated from it by a nice big moat. What happens in the Pit, stays in the Pit. While it certainly has a rough charm during the day, the Pit is not the best place to take a midnight stroll. Chances are you wake up the next morning chained to a galley rowing bench - or not at all. You can imagine most of the action in my story takes place in this most colourful of districts.
  5. River Port
    the district north of King's Hill. Originally a separate village on the banks of the river, but long incorporated within the city walls. Sometimes called Braenic, after the village.
  6. The Marches
    lying east of King’s Hill, the Marches is a low-lying country as the name suggests, originally a swamp but long reclaimed and now one of the most densely populated areas of the city.
  7. Fair Town
    the northernmost city district, built on the original site of the famous yearly Cailltir Fair (which is now held on the west bank of the river). Much of the area is still dominated by agriculture though, especially to the north, but the city is slowly creeping closer.
  8. The Cathedral (or Cathedral Island, even though it's actually several islands)
    the stronghold of the Faith, started out as a small monastery on the northern tip, but grew over the centuries to a massive temple surrounded by administrative buildings, shops, houses, small palaces, docks and ship wharfs, all managed by the Faith.

The districts between the inner and the outer walls are sometimes collectively called New Town, even though the Goldvale district is usually not considered part of that: while the rest of New Town is mainly inhabited by low to medium incomes, Goldvale sports the richest people in the city (or at least those just short of being rich enough to purchase an apartment in the New Palace, the nexus of worldly power)

-----------------------------------------------

Enough twaddle. I would like to introduce the King’s Hill and Cathedral districts, and a complete revamp of Old Town. As stated in my previous post, I had to redo that district because the buildings were just too far apart. It took me a while and quite a bit of sweat and tears, but here we are:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cailltir-2.3.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	833.2 KB 
ID:	56186

It's horribly slow work, but that's the nature of the job I guess. At the moment, the area I've drawn is already 2 km long and about 1 km wide at its widest. It sports roughly 45,000 inhabitants. The idea is to triple that effort, but I can't even begin to imagine how long that's going to take. A few weeks at least. But I keep strong .

Let me know what you think!