Quote Originally Posted by SkullCollector View Post
Speaking of states: Can I edit the map later on? Surely there won't be nukes blasting holes into the crust, but I'm thinking of lables, maybe newly discovered rivers, hills and mountains. I would be content with making this one as detailed as possible without spoiling opportunities for the players and instead continously crafting new regional maps, though. The global thing representing a mere overview in that case. But why not have both if possible?

Cheers
Skull
Sure thing! All you need to do is to keep everything properly separated in different layers in Photoshop/GIMP, and such form of dynamic editing will be a breeze.

I do something similar with my players: In order to avoid spoilers but at the same time minimize the amount of work, I split all elements into individual layers (one for rivers, one for forests, etc) and, once I'm done, create a new layer of "fog" (sometimes it's actual fog, other times a paper texture to simulate an incomplete map) on top of everything, then simply use a diffuminated eraser on the areas they have visited/should know, which kind of gives the effect of a slowly revealing map.

It's really easy to do and gets the result you want. If you feel more industrious, you can also create smaller, more focused versions of the map that keep growing in scale.