Thread: Styletest: 19th century historical map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am still tinkering with this. The current version is about as close to my goal as I can get it... but the methods I use get more and more complicated.
    Unnecessarily complicated perhaps... I don't think most people are going to notice some of the small details.
    One problem I have run into: you cannot use layergroups as layermaps / alphamaps - at least not in the current version of GIMP. So in order to keep this map non-destructive, I have to include a number of backup layers.

Now I have to come around and write all this stuff down, so that I don't forget how I did it.

What do you think? Would it be worth to invest the time, do it right and make a tutorial from it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br_it2.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	893.8 KB 
ID:	61771
    Last edited by Freodin; 02-25-2014 at 08:31 AM.

That is spectacular. I would love to see how it's done step by step!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    I am still tinkering with this. The current version is about as close to my goal as I can get it... but the methods I use get more and more complicated.
    Unnecessarily complicated perhaps... I don't think most people are going to notice some of the small details.
    One problem I have run into: you cannot use layergroups as layermaps / alphamaps - at least not in the current version of GIMP. So in order to keep this map non-destructive, I have to include a number of backup layers.

Now I have to come around and write all this stuff down, so that I don't forget how I did it.

What do you think? Would it be worth to invest the time, do it right and make a tutorial from it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br_it2.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	893.8 KB 
ID:	61771
    Looks great. A tutorial woule be excellent.