Thread: Making Interesting Hex Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

To me, any grid is an afterthought to a map design. You first create the kind of detailed map you want. When you're done you place your grid whatever that might be - square or hex. To me, creating the hexagons first as backwards design - why would anyone do that? Now if you're using an application like Hexagrapher, a hex based CAD drawing system, then that's how the designs are created. Maps I create can easily have square, hex or no grid, because as I stated grids are something I do as the very last thing in any map design - it really is only an afterthought.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    To me, any grid is an afterthought to a map design. You first create the kind of detailed map you want. When you're done you place your grid whatever that might be - square or hex. To me, creating the hexagons first as backwards design - why would anyone do that? Now if you're using an application like Hexagrapher, a hex based CAD drawing system, then that's how the designs are created. Maps I create can easily have square, hex or no grid, because as I stated grids are something I do as the very last thing in any map design - it really is only an afterthought.
    I want to generate random maps. Its just a forum game, not a significant undertaking with complex lore and resource management. I should have been more clear about that.