Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harenova -- Learning Cartography From Scratch! ADVENTURE! Come and Help!

Hello, I joined a couple of days ago. I also came here to work on a map for a comic.

On your map the lake in the asp territory looks like it has rivers draining from it, but has no source.
    (ex: Rain > Mountains > Streams > Rivers > Lakes > Rivers > Ocean) The water cycle.

From what I read your story sounds interesting.

I accidentally skipped the 2nd and 3rd page, so I am not sure if the source comment is still needed.
    Last edited by Robin Ryuu; 08-01-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Ryuu View Post
    On your map the lake in the asp territory looks like it has rivers draining from it, but has no source.
    There are mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Failtality View Post
    Vagabondage, you are amazingly talented. I think all your ideas for a script are really interesting, and while I think I've said this before, it is so obvious that a lot of thought goes into what you do. Looking at what you've drawn, I am more inclined to favor a "squarer" script from what I know of your world already.

Attachment 56545

I wanted to try my hand at something, I hope you don't mind. Its very crude, but it was fun to do!
    Your drawing looks fabulous!

Yes, I do a LOT of thinking. I probably think critically about my ideas than actually... uh... pursuing them... which is good, to think of one's self critically, but I should work harder at actually doing something otherwise nothing will get done!! LOL. Like you said, I'd ideally have a more square/geometrical font as well. Something that feels imperial and militant but still elegant... but readable at a glance so viewers don't have to strain their eyes to read the text.

Desert. Powerful. Elegant. Calligraphic. Easy to read.

Grrr... back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 08-01-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Those last scripts are nice. You have a pretty smooth hand for that. Were you just putting shapes together in a pleasing way or do they have meaning? I'm enjoying watching all of your components come together.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Those last scripts are nice. You have a pretty smooth hand for that. Were you just putting shapes together in a pleasing way or do they have meaning? I'm enjoying watching all of your components come together.
    Long before I had this comic book idea (Jesus, now that I count it was about nine years ago), I had formulated an alphanumeric code to use in school when I was writing stories instead of paying attention. I did it so people wouldn't be able to read my private journals and poetry (which had happened quite often with nosy classmates and teachers) if they got their hands on it. I can write in it incredibly quickly... and in some journals I turned the books on their side and wrote vertically from right to left. I don't know if I was THAT worried someone would read it or if I thought I was Leonardo or something...

I just emulated some styles of Arabic/Tibetan calligraphy in the previous doodles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alphabet.JPG 
Views:	459 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	56554

The shapes before said "Harenova" and "Bonum Vesparum"... which is a bit of a Latin play on words that I've been giddy about because I'm an idiot. "Bonum vespere" means "good evening"... I used (what I think is) the grammatically incorrect conjugation "vesperum" and then accidentally misspelled it when using Google Translate. "Vesparum"... means wasp... Oh it fits so perfectly. And seeing as my comic is absolutely absurd and occasionally questionably camp, I cannot resist making it a canon phrase. HA.
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 08-01-2013 at 10:29 AM.

My comment was a compliment more than anything. I think the amount of consideration you put in to things is great

Quote Originally Posted by Failtality View Post
    My comment was a compliment more than anything. I think the amount of consideration you put in to things is great
    Oh, I hope my reply didn't come off in the wrong way. I truly appreciate it!

EDIT: And now some more tests... I'm getting the geometric feel, I believe, as well as portraying something calligraphic. I just need to get that desert feel in there. It feels too European, though I guess I should blame that on the Roman alphabet.

I think I'll be able to achieve it with line quality... Like parts are written with a brush and details with an ink pen. Hm.

Name:	tests.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	56556

Time for work!
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 08-01-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Not at all, and no problem

haha... I got quite fluent in my own script for a while, except I'm not much for journal keeping so I fell out of writing with it. But I've also just sketched out symbols to put on various maps (like the Deep Ruins). It's an amusing and fairly widespread occupation for creative people I think.

Name:	scrpt.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	56557
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I've been sick recently so I haven't had much energy to work on the map in great detail. I did some work over the last few days regarding some basic symbols for reference later on. And wrote some notes for stuff and stuff... Pardon the readability in some areas. The notes will most likely be more legible on the real version but until then, these are as they are. Blugh.

Name:	nyrh.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	887.4 KB 
ID:	56664

Then very roughly painted some climates... I'll put more thought into it when I'm not feeling so ill.

Name:	climate.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	56663

Are the yellowish color representing the deserts/plains ? It look good anyway and the font are pretty readable.

What does the "I" represent on the map ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast