Thread: Harenova -- Learning Cartography From Scratch! ADVENTURE! Come and Help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Okay, real question this time... I can't talk this one out like the last.

I'm doing some research on biomes and climate/rainfall to suit and adapt the intended environment for certain regions, islands, etc. Digging into the lovely Climate Cookbook, which I found in another thread.

If I want my planet to be predominantly desert and/or arid, should I decrease the size of the ocean? Is it plausible for a desert planet to have an ocean as large as it is now? I would like potential forest-y areas (-maybe- a rainforest here or there)... I'll get the answer on my own eventually... but I guess it's a question I should ask before I get too deep into this. I figure the issue can be solved with strategically placed mountain ranges and rivers. Altitude too.

*ponders*

OFF TO READING~!

P.S. -- I am very quickly learning about how wind currents work. This is exciting! Woo! LEARNING. SCIENCE!

EDIT: Uh. Well. Reading Climate Cookbook... and am... making an attempt to follow it. I picked out my major mountain ranges and am most likely mucking things up. I think I'm thinking about surface water currents alongside land wind currents. OY. But I think I'm making progress since this is revealing to me basic wind direction and now I'm thinking of windward-leeward sides of mountains and basic elevation of lands. Starting to formulate an idea of the climate around those areas. I think I need to do some cross-referencing of other maps... real and fictional.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	56232

EDIT2: Padded out surface ocean currents referencing the behavior of the real world map. Feedback is welcome.

Name:	wip2.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	56233

EDIT3: Picked out warm and cool currents. Read a little about how warm/cool currents effect climate and decided to add a few land-masses to divert currents in the way I wanted. Blocked out basic wet (green) and dry (pink) areas. Offset the second image a little to show you the current on the far east and west of the map. Feedback appreciated as always... Though now looking at the second map, that current looks a helluva mess. I need to fix that.

Next up, figuring out air pressure of ALL THE PLACES...

Name:	wetdry.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	56234 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wetdry2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	56235
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 07-19-2013 at 02:18 PM.