Thanks all for your lovely suggestions! I should probably restate my question: "What are some good resources for map making that match both art deco and high fantasy sensibilities?" and "What sort of styles of maps do you think would represent that pairing?"

I think the second question I've started to answer for myself. Last night I played around and got some results I really like, based on the Queen Mary map I linked...
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mappainted.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	56431
I think this is alot closer to what I wanted.., Thank so much for the suggestions about readable script fonts... that was what I was sorta worried about, and while this one isn't PERFECT, it is pretty darn close to it, and something I'd be happy to continue using. I should clarify that for right now this is a more stylized and political map, BUT I can easily envision the illustrated quality of the background to work for topography and the like.

Azelor- Thanks for the suggestions! I am a BIG fan of Deco/ Dieselpunk, but I am going for a more high fantasy feel rather than tech =) Certainly, though, some elements of that style could be carried over.

Vagabondage- Thanks to you too, I think your suggestions pushed it in a good direction. I hope my background captures both that organic and geometric style. I had considered using illustrations in the borders, or similar, and now that you've mentioned it as well, it's probably something I'll go ahead with. A big part of art deco is exaggerating elements to make them seem grand.