Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Temporal Comet Strike world

Post Yes, Ravs!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    And this is all done in Xara only? I'm super impressed.
    Using only the techniques I use in my Regional Map with Xara tutorial - though perhaps a bit more refined!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wip Map Update - Labeling

Map update, showing the entire southern reaches of the continent. I am starting to label the regions and various larger cities, place roads, throw in some Ravs/Torq farmland to feed these people.

I tried to deliniate temporal anamolous regions by Font style as an idea. Notice that the Shattered Desert is actually a remnant piece of a post-apoc world in the far future.

I forgot to place a date on the timeline for Ceran Empire, which is current place on the timeline, from the players point of view. Thus the dark age lands to the south as well as the desert is possible future. One greater goal, aside from repairing the temporal damage, is to somehow prevent the fall of the empire and catastrophic end in the far future.

WIP so far...

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temporal.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	889.0 KB 
ID:	5082  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-10-2008 at 02:08 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I want to say, I dig the (story-historical) background on this map, and it gives a great reason other than some of the older and well-used ones for why different, seemingly incongruous or anachronistic and fantastical things can exist in the same world together.

Wip Too anachronistic, though

I think the whole font thing and timeline caption was a bit heavy handed and making things too anachronistic. Despite the temporal issues this continent is intended for, I still want to make it useable for others that might like the map but not the backstory.

I dropped the mixed fonts, and the timeline captions.

So I changed it up a bit. More labeling to do, as well as more rivers, lakes, roads, cities yet to place. I'll place a custom compass rose and some more heraldic capital city devices. A few more islands to add as well.

I decided to show you the whole continent (finished mapping the north.)

Oh, I finally named the continent, Celanta (the name I suggested for the CWBG when it first started.)

GP

WIP so far... long way to go!

Name:	celanta-map.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	5134  
    DrivethruRPG store

It looks great GP, but it may be an idea to make the farmland a little bit transparent to avoid the collage effect. Also might be worth 'cutting out' some of the fields on the edges to make the outline look more natural and to find some natural borders against which the fields terminate. Maybe worth a little Google Earth-fu for references?

I concur, not sure of the scale I'm looking at, but at any considerable elevation you wouldn't really see that level of detail. That said, I like the idea and think you are definitely onto something.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wip More changes

OK, next rendition, I pulled the offscale farm topography from the map. Named some rivers, placed some cities and roads. More labeling to do. In a couple days I'll post this in the Finished Maps forum.

Though I changed the scale, it already had a scale, beneath the title at bottom right. It was 500 miles on the bar, but changed that to 250 miles.

GP

Name:	celanta-map.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	5183  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-12-2008 at 10:52 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Wah, I really like the style (using pieces of photos). It looks very different than a lot of maps we see here.

Maybe the deserts are a little bit too simple, though, but I wouldn't know how to make them look anyway.

Congrats !

Post Thanks!

Thanks, Tenoch! I've got a tutorial for this style using Xara Xtreme 4.0 in the tutorials forum.

There's only 2 regions of desert in the map. The Shattered Desert being the most prominent one, the other is on the southern penisular tip.

Those yellowish regions are simply more arid grasslands, where as the green is has more lush vegetation, still largely plains, however. The yellow does not represent desert, rather the light brown areas do.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast